Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

BeanerSA

Southern Hemisphere viewing of Northern Treats

Down here at -34° latitude we've had a rotten winter by our standards, almost a full month of clouds. Tonight was the first time we've been out in a month.

Due to the eastern and southern facing aspect of our garden, I don't usually look north, so for something different I thought I would try some northern targets. I was specifically looking for M57 and M13.

Both were easily found, M57 is really unique and could only be seen with averted vision. In hindsight I should have used a lower mag to increase the contrast a bit. M13....... now maybe I'm a but spoilt with Omega Centauri and 47 Tucanae, but that was both tiny and faint. I expect my latitude might have something to do with that, but it was still cool to see.

Such a good nights viewing. Bring on summer!

• Like 1

Interesting read, for us in the northern hemisphere M13 is a show piece object, the great globs that are available to you we can only dream of.

Nice report. Both these DSOs are standard viewing from here. You have done very well to get them, even if the views were a bit disappointing. Must travel South someday to view the wonders of your sky.

Shame to hear about the rotten weather, but good you can pick off these northerly objects. From higher latitudes I'm often left wondering what those southern treasures have in store! Clear skies, Kevin

Edited by Special K

Shame to hear about the rotten weather, but good you can pick off these northerly objects. From higher latitudes I'm often left wondering what those southern treasures have in store! Clear skies, Kevin

Thanks. Spring is almost here! I could probably do a bit better, but I'm limited to objects greater than 15° above the horizon.

Interesting read, for us in the northern hemisphere M13 is a show piece object, the great globs that are available to you we can only dream of.

The 2 brightest ones really are something special. I'd be happy to show then to you if you ever make it down this way.

Nice report. Both these DSOs are standard viewing from here. You have done very well to get them, even if the views were a bit disappointing. Must travel South someday to view the wonders of your sky.

Thanks. I targeted them because I see them suggested as first DSO's for northern observers on here. As above, if you ever make it down this way, I'll be happy to show them to you. It'll be funny to watch your reaction to the constellations being upside down.