Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Narrowband Filter issue?

hograt

Good news ....... but what about the Baader Blue filter that shows the same effect whilst the Red and Green do not?

"Lucky we didn't say anything about the dirty knife".....

My faulty OIII should have reached Baader in Germany on Monday, so I'm looking forward to getting a new one in the post soon.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also get horrible halos on the Baader Blue filters. Not the Red or Green, only the Blue. FLO have replaced it but the damn problem persists - any other offers to solve this one? I also have halos through the Baader OIII (not FLO supplied) - this has also been replaced but the issue also persists. 

Yes all the packaging states NO halos & NO reflections but they are there. Surely that has to be wrong. They are making claims that are false.

Post us an image. Blue is the optician's nightmare. The short wavelength blue light is hardest to control in lenses so the problem might be optical rather than (and now I'm looking for the adjectival form of 'filter') filtorial! Blue bloat is common in non-apochromatic optics. Not Herr Baader's fault.

Olly

One sub, full frame jpg, slightly stretched.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34779111/Baader_Blue/Baader_BLUE_Halo.jpg

The Red and Green are perfect. FLO have changed this already (promptly thanks) but the problem persists - exactly the same as the problem persisted with my OIII after that was replaced (not FLO).

As with all Baaders the claim that there are no halos and no reflections is there on the box.

This is through a 190mm Mak Newt. I get the same issue through my ZS66SD.

I took my eye off this thread.  Well, it has certainly developed since the OP. 

I didn't receive a reply from Baader back in August when I contacted them.  I gave up at that point. I'm glad to see there is a product recall.

I sent another email tonight with the requested proof of purchase and a sample image.  BTW I purchased my filters from Amazon Spain so thought the direct approach appropriate.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks,

Martin

IK has just confirmed that Baader are sending me a new Oiii filter to replace my 2012 version, but has said that they haven't had any complaints about their B or G filters.

Anyway, I've got blue halos so Ian is going to test the filter for me and let me have his opinion..

Proof of the pudding will indeed be in the exposing.  I have my replacement now, return of post.  So far, 300s on Hadya  (bright 2.5 Mag below M42 main nebula) was very clean.  300s admittedly isn't much, but looks hopeful.   

my oiii replacement is on its way (really bad one of the serie, stretching hard, i do get halos with stars of mag 9.5-10!!), but i would like to stress all perfect with r,g,b, ha, sii baaders, all parfocal, either with my c8 or gt81. so despite the oiii batch issue, i recommand baader.

Is there a cut off date from Baader ? I've had mine for donkeys years and certainly can't find an invoice, the O111 has always had haloes and I honestly thought it was normal and removed them in processing, never occurred to me to try and get it replaced.

Baader appear to be of the opinion it was only a certain production run ?

Do they require return of the old filter ? as I'm in the middle of an imaging run (waiting for the rain to stop) I don't want to be taking the filter wheel apart any time soon.

Dave

Is there a cut off date from Baader ? I've had mine for donkeys years and certainly can't find an invoice, the O111 has always had haloes and I honestly thought it was normal and removed them in processing, never occurred to me to try and get it replaced.

Baader appear to be of the opinion it was only a certain production run ?

Do they require return of the old filter ? as I'm in the middle of an imaging run (waiting for the rain to stop) I don't want to be taking the filter wheel apart any time soon.

Baader's product recall announcement says "within 2014 or 2015" but it might be worth contacting your retailer (or Baader direct) if yours was purchased prior to 2014. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived