SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Light with a Lightwave 60EDT

I picked one of these scopes up second hand a while ago, and it has taken me ages to get it all hooked up for an imaging outing. I piggy-backed it off my ED80 and now I have a very flexible rig where I can image/guide with either scope. A surprise bonus clear night, contrary to forecasts meant I managed to get a few hours in this evening.

Tonight was guiding with the ED80/Atik 414 and imaging with the 60EDT and a Canon 450d. There is no flattener, and below is a completely uncropped image. Remarkably, there appears to be a nearly totally flat field across the entire sensor - I can't really see curvature (just a general slant, which may be focuser droop. This is similar to Chris's (toxic) experience with this scope. With an OSC (DSLR) there is some blue fringing, which I slightly processed out in the image below, but it seems to not be apparent in the mono RGB images with this scope I have seen, so focusing Blue separately from the rest looks to be the way forward, although the blue fringing isn't too bad in this DSLR image anyway.

I have to say I am really happy with this result and the scope. A home made bahtinov mask and a crude first outing has resulted in an encouraging result. I can see lots of fun to be had with this setup I now have. It is nice to have options.

8 x 10 mins. LightWave 60EDT, Canon 450D.

59c395ac46b0454678baa082c5b74bb3.1824x0_

Very nice! I have to say it does look like a fairly flat field w/o flattener (compared to my kit lens, mind).

Although, is it just me or is there a weird brown rectangle in the middle-left of the image? Like a normal coloured brown and a right angle corner of brighter brown?

~pip

Hi Pip, nice spot - the rectangle is because I have only done a quick and dirty stacking of the subs, which involved a meridian flip and a not very accurate reframing. This image is uncalibrated, so no flats, darks or bias, just roughly stacked and stretched.

I've a similar set-up Matt and as I'm doing it the other way 'round tonight :).

Guiding with the AA and capturing with the ED80. Also using the 414EX. My newt however is only the 200p.....you been reading my diary :)

Oh, forgot to say....I don't use the dslr with the AA for the reasons you mention. 

Archived