Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

mono OAG guide cam filters

Quick question on OAG setups. If you have a mono guide camera and you use it in an OAG, where do you put the IR filter, or do you not bother? If not, does the fact that you may have smeared focus stars a problem in this kind of setup?

I'm not 100% sure but I'd imagine there's no point in using a IR filter as your not actually taking photos, just guiding with your camera.

I use a 9X50 guide scope and always have the stars slightly unfocused. This increases my chances of guiding on a star and not a hot/ dead pixel

I have a mono guide camera with an OAG.  I don't use any filter, and I have never noticed smearing of the guide star.  On the other hand, guiding appears to be excellent.  Of course, PHD, which I use, actually prefers slightly out of focus stars, although I am not sure if IR smearing equates to out of focus.

Chris

Archived