SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2" Barlow - still looking

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a hunt around the forum there are many threads on Barlow lenses; of the five or so I've just looked at, none mention a Barlow made specifically foe Sky's the limit, who is someone many of us have probably used in the past for one thing or another.

Good luck with the decision manong.

James

I bought a 1.25" Sky's the Limit barlow a couple of years ago and it was a fairly basic piece of kit. I have no experience of the 2" barlow but from the pictures it looks very similar.

You might be better looking around for a second hand barlow with a known reputation?

I bought a 1.25" Sky's the Limit barlow a couple of years ago and it was a fairly basic piece of kit. I have no experience of the 2" barlow but from the pictures it looks very similar.

You might be better looking around for a second hand barlow with a known reputation?

Yes.  There's a firm in Guidford seem to sell the same piece.  The Skywatcher, Revelation and GSO item all seem to be made by GSO.  Revelation is cheapest but the two UK sellers won't send to France.  I can buy the GSO from a firm in Poland for about £51 delivered.  Nobody discounts the Skywatcher.  Nothing much on the s/h market so far as I can see.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Any views on this one please.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skys-the-Limit-2-2X-ED-Barlow-Lens-with-1-25-adapter-/380835033316

I know the dealer has a good reputation and I have bought from him before but if anyone has personal experience of this item it would be good to have an opinion.

We rely on others for their experience and advice, which is why we have forums for discussion, but what suits us, may not suit you?

If the majority of views suggest the same, its a good bet that the item in question is as described!

Having dealt before with the vendor, why not  take a chance. There appears to be a small delivery fee to France, you would  also have to pay the return if not satisfied with the end result.

The problem these Days, with so many units based on the same technical description, unless it says Pentax or TeleVue or An-Other!  we often err on caution?

So much of the hobby is still a learning curve, only having learnt , quite often after the event! How many folk have purchased an item, sold it, only then realising how good that item was, and longing to get one back?

I doubt there are any real issues with the Barlow, you just have to try/test and see what's best for your needs. Some folk still loath the use of a Barlow, Yet I just found out that a TV  Nagler has one  built into the eyepiece, in order to achieve its magic!

I try very hard not to come across as an elitist who only has eyepieces and Barlows by TeleVue - which I don't - but when it comes to a Barlow, it is what I'd choose (and did). The reason being that the best Barlow you can get is the Barlow that essentially disappears. In other words: You wouldn't know it was there as it doesn't dim the view from the eyepiece due to the extra glass in your optical pathway. Or cause any peripheral distortion. There is nothing worse than a bad Barlow lens.

Most lower cost Barlow's are okay. But not likely to get much use due to the mediocre views they engender. As a result there are usually many used ones offered on the used-astro markets. People who try to cut costs on Barlows as they can't afford but a small amount of astro-kit, and need to stretch their limited EP (eyepiece) collection, can find themselves actually paying more for their Barlows, in the quest for a better one, than a one-time investment in a top-of-the-line one such as TeleVue. So I tend to suggest saving up and springing for the last lens you'll ever buy.

The TeleVue PowerMates are also worthy of consideration - if you don't mind not eating for a month..... :p

Out of the Black and into the Green,

Dave

Much depends on the lenses you are going to put into the Barlow. Most often a 2" Barlow is used with long focal length EPs, and more importantly wide-angle ones. A standard Barlow (due to its design) can cause vignetting in wide-angle EPs, and extends the already long eye relief of long focal length EPs. This can make them uncomfortable to use. A tele-centric lens like the TV PowerMats,, Meade TeleXtenders, Bresser SA Barlows, and Explore Scientific Focal Extenders do not have these problems. These improvements do come at a price.

I'm a Tele Vue Powermate fan but the ES Focal Extenders and Meade TeleXtenders do a very similar job at somewhat less cost. These devices add the magnification but don't affect the focal position or eye relief at all. They don't vignette the field of view in eyepieces with large diameter field stops either. In my opinion superior to the vast majority of barlow lenses, and I've tried many of them !

Are you sure you want to use 2" barlow or powermate/teleextender with your 2" eyepieces? Your 34mm ES is a quite heavy eyepeice, the added weight, especially the length of a 2" might create balance issue for your scope.

i`ve had and used this one,

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_ED_2x_Barlow_2__.html

it excellent, there same as the gso and other clones but i find revelation stuff of excellent quality.

Thanks for the tip.  It was top of my list after a recommendation elsewhere, and the fact I bought my 'scope ftom TH, but neither TH nor the other UK supplier will ship to France.  I can get the GSO shipped from Poland foc at an attractive price but I am now deeply immersed in excellent advice coming from all over the place!

I'm a Tele Vue Powermate fan but the ES Focal Extenders and Meade TeleXtenders do a very similar job at somewhat less cost. These devices add the magnification but don't affect the focal position or eye relief at all. They don't vignette the field of view in eyepieces with large diameter field stops either. In my opinion superior to the vast majority of barlow lenses, and I've tried many of them !

More good advice from North Somerset.  Thanks John.  I'll look into focal extenders.  I seem to remember the Bresser site advertising the ES items.

Are you sure you want to use 2" barlow or powermate/teleextender with your 2" eyepieces? Your 34mm ES is a quite heavy eyepeice, the added weight, especially the length of a 2" might create balance issue for your scope.

It's an excellent question.  I have only just started using a 2" eyepiece, and then not much because of cloudy skies, but I found even that short experience quite breathtaking - which is why I have bought a couple more for wide field work.  My natural field of vision has been affected by glaucoma and cataract operations so I think I may be getting a benefit not everyone would enjoy.  My 8" Dob is nowhere near the end of its balancing track so I think I can get away with more weight at the front.  A friend recently attached his DSLR to a 1.25 Barlow without any stability problems so I'm happy to take the chance.  Perhaps, in extremis, my wife could hang her handbag on the other end!

Thanks for raising the point though.

We rely on others for their experience and advice, which is why we have forums for discussion, but what suits us, may not suit you?

If the majority of views suggest the same, its a good bet that the item in question is as described!

Having dealt before with the vendor, why not  take a chance. There appears to be a small delivery fee to France, you would  also have to pay the return if not satisfied with the end result.

The problem these Days, with so many units based on the same technical description, unless it says Pentax or TeleVue or An-Other!  we often err on caution?

So much of the hobby is still a learning curve, only having learnt , quite often after the event! How many folk have purchased an item, sold it, only then realising how good that item was, and longing to get one back?

I doubt there are any real issues with the Barlow, you just have to try/test and see what's best for your needs. Some folk still loath the use of a Barlow, Yet I just found out that a TV  Nagler has one  built into the eyepiece, in order to achieve its magic!

I had to give some thought to your quite profound answer (for which many thanks) before replying.

As one of the other Loungers said, there is false economy in repeatedly buying cheap but, at the same time, there is a natural limit to one's budget and one's ultimate requirement.  I've left my entry into this fascinating pastime too late in life to carry the same aspirations as the dedicated younger amateur with a far healthier income.  I have, like most, to do the best I can with what I've got in the time available.

I wrote to Alan at Sky's the Limit last night and asked some pertinent questions.  It's a point in his favour that he answered before I had made breakfast this morning.

The Barlow is made in China.  He suspects it is marketed under a number of respected brand names.  It has never been subjected to a comparative review by professionals but in the seven years he has been selling the item he has never had one returned - for any reason.  On those grounds it would be worth taking a chance, as you suggest.  However, the reaction to my original question has led to a number of different responses that are worth examining and I am not in that much of a hurry.  I am grateful, though, for your perspective on the human psychology that sometimes deflects us from a choice that would be more suitable to any of us as individuals but.not necessarily the wisest for all and sundry.

Crikey, I do love SGL. Thanks again

Astromarket in Belgium do the GSO 2" barlow at 99€ with it looks like 6€ postage. AST

TS and Altair usually have the GSO items with their name on the side and generally GSO = Revelation.

So you are likely looking at the same 2" barlow under an assortment of names.

I see that AST have their own 2" barlow, not sure who the source is.

Looks like the GSO 2" ED Barlow is 89€ from Ganymedes in NL.

....... Some folk still loath the use of a Barlow, Yet I just found out that a TV  Nagler has one  built into the eyepiece, in order to achieve its magic!

Most wide angle and / or long eye relief eyepieces use a barlow or smyth lens type set in the eyepiece barrel, including BST Explorer / Starguiders.

Astromarket in Belgium do the GSO 2" barlow at 99€ with it looks like 6€ postage. AST

TS and Altair usually have the GSO items with their name on the side and generally GSO = Revelation.

So you are likely looking at the same 2" barlow under an assortment of names.

I see that AST have their own 2" barlow, not sure who the source is.

Looks like the GSO 2" ED Barlow is 89€ from Ganymedes in NL.

Thanks.  This is the one I was looking at, with, it suggests, free delivery

http://teleskopy.pl/product_info.php?cPath=22_318&products_id=1749&lunety=Soczewka_Barlowa_GSO_2x_2%27%27_ED

Will look at Ganymedes

Just a  thought ,have a look  at an Antares  x1.6 2inch barlow,i find this to be a great match for tv`s,this is very much a favorite of the Dob fans in the states and was highly recommended to me  4years ago i just love it,a great compliment for  great lens! Link here;http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-2-16x-barlow-lens-with-twist-lock.html,

HTH

Mike

Just a  thought ,have a look  at an Antares  x1.6 2inch barlow,i find this to be a great match for tv`s,this is very much a favorite of the Dob fans in the states and was highly recommended to me  4years ago i just love it,a great compliment for  great lens! Link here;http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-2-16x-barlow-lens-with-twist-lock.html,

HTH

Mike

Thanks, Mike.  I had a look for some reviews and found myself on the AgenaAstro site in the States.  They say it has been discontinued but it did retail for 85 dollars.  At a penny under £80 for something that may now be obsolete I may look elsewhere but I do wish Antares EPs were more generally available in Europe.  My only experience with one borrowed from another Lounger was sensational compared to anything in my box right now.

Thanks again,

Peter

Have a look here.

It says that the Siebert and Venonscope Dakin 2" barlows are the best (optically flawless).

Very interesting reading, Ruud, but after checking prices I would need to win the national lottery!  Sadly he poured cold water on the GSO.  Will keep searching.

HTH

Mike

Antares is a funky outfit - which is a good thing, in my translation. I have often been "wowed" by some of their offerings. Low costs and great kit. Ever check out a Speer-Waler eyepiece?

http://www.antaresoptical.com/eyepieces.htm

These are strange animals!

Happy Hunting!

Dave

Antares is a funky outfit - which is a good thing, in my translation. I have often been "wowed" by some of their offerings. Low costs and great kit. Ever check out a Speer-Waler eyepiece?

Happy Hunting!

Dave

Happy Hunting!

Dave

It is a W70 that I have the pleasure of borrowing at the moment but, as I mentioned before, this brand is hard to get hold of in Europe so the chance of even getting a look at the Speer-Waier is remote.  Interesting read on their site, though.

Archived