Yet another Yorkshire hello

AlanF

Just joined the group. Looks as though the whole of Yorkshire has got involved in stargazing.

Recently retired and renewed my interest in astronomy. Had a small telescope years ago, but unfortunately couldn't really be bothered continually setting it up. Now using a pair of Celestron 15x70 binoculars. They are OK, but quite a bit of vibration with a metal L bracket on a Horizon 8115 tripod. I'm considering changing to a pair of Helios 20x80 triplet's. Wondered if anyone has any experience of using them.

I find using binoculars much easier than a telescope. I realise that I won't be able to get really high magnification results, but I'm more than happy with what I can see. At least I would use them regularly, rather than having a telescope and getting fed up with the messing about setting up.

I've been to a couple of public viewing nights at the Leeds Astronomical Society. Looked through various sizes of scopes. The large ones were fantastic, but way out of my league. The small ones seemed to have a very narrow fov, and were quite dim. I know you generally get what you pay for. Looking through the 20x80 and 25x100 binoculars gave a more pleasing view to my mind. Planets were obviously just small discs, but star fields etc were brilliant.

Looking forward to exchanging news and ideas with fellow stargazers.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks as though the whole of Yorkshire has got involved in stargazing.

Gives us something to do when the oil fired street lamps run out..

Welcome to the lounge.

is that the leed society that meets it the new inn at eccup? (most Yorkshire of names!)

Ta

Fozzie

Hi Fozzie

It certainly will keep me occupied now that I've stopped racing pigeons (never managed to beat one) and keeping ferrets!!!!!

The Leeds nights were at the New Inn. I think they moved to Bramhope. Waiting to see the venue when they start again next month.

My apologies for pressing the "send" button twice.

Thanks to everyone who's contacted me so far

Hello Peter.

I remember seeing The Astronomy Centre on the Todmorden - Bacup road many years ago when I was a rep. Must be going back to the 1990's. If I'm in the area I'll let you know and come and see you. Thanks for the invite.

Hi Alan.. just checked on the LAS site, looks like early September the public nights start in eccup, keep meaning to go along, maybe this season!

Pigeons and ferrets, that's as Yorkshire it gets I think.. kept you busy no doubt!

Ta

Fozzie

Thanks to everyone who's taken the trouble to contact me.

Fozzie, sorry I didn't get back to you last night. Was at Headingley watching Leeds Rhinos v Wigan. interesting that Las are going back to Eccup. The pub has opened and closed quite a few times over the last 2 or 3 years.

Maybe changing my mind about the bins. Seriously thinking of the Altair Starwave 70 instead. Read some good reviews. It would give me a bit more flexibility, but keeping the set up reasonably easy.

No problem Alan, my folks were there too, even my little 9month old has a rhinos top thanks to his pops!

Yeah I've noticed that the new inn appears to be going through some tough times, only been a few times..

There's been a few threads recently on small francs or binos so have a look at those, could help you make a choice, personally I prefer a scope feel it's more versatile for my obs especially with white light, but binos can give you ultimate portability and wide field views..

Ta

Fozzie

Funnily, the first thing I bought my 2 year old grandson (apart from the usual baby things) was a Rhinos shirt. He recognised the badge from about 18 months old. Off to Wembley again in 2 weeks.

We must arrange to meet up when the viewing nights start. I'm quite lucky that I only live a couple of miles away.

Archived