Hi from Ottery St. Mary

cloudnine

Hi folks,

It has been nearly a year since I last posted, so just wanted to say hi again from Ottery St. Mary.

The biggest change from previous is that my wife and I are starting to get involved with the Norman Lockyer Observatory, helping out where we can. If anyone is holidaying in East Devon or just passing through it is well worth a look. Timing your trip with an open evening may get you a look though the 6.25" Lockyer telescope (objective lens: 1862 by Thomas Cooke & Sons, mount 1871). There is also a planetarium, a couple of 10" refractors and a great technology centre which is geared up for the radio detection of meteors, amongst other things.

Oh, and I've bought my 12" dobs its very own shed.

Clear skies!

Martin

Hi Martin and welcome back to a more active part in SGL, your telescope will be better off with its own wooden overcoat, at least for maintaining a constant outside temperature, ready for you to use, enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :)

Thanks all. It is humbling to flick through all the different topics being discussed on this forum and see the high levels of expertise and experience (and humour). I'm here to learn, as I am very much in the observing category, so I hope I can contribute in some small way.

I've just spent a long long time reading the 22" mapstar thread with awe. Still have 24 pages to go, so no spoilers please ;-)

Cheers,

Martin

Hi Martin, my wife and I had a week in Sidmouth four years back, and we took the opportunity to tour the NLO during the day. I said at the time, that I wished we had something like that near our home, as it's a marvellous facility to get involved with. I'm envious! It's a lovely part of the world, too.

Do keep us posted about the Observatory.

Ian

Archived