Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific 24mm 68deg bargain

F15Rules

Next on the list I think is the ES14mm 82..anyone here got one? If so, how do you rate it?

Dave

I've recently looked through one of them (not mine). I found it excellent. Good contrast, sharp starts across 95% of the FOV. Actually I looked through the entire line of ES82's eyepieces. But have to say that the ES82 24mm seemed particularly superb to me, maybe the best among their 82 degree hand grenades. Only downside is that you need to be very close to the eyelens in order to see the entire FOV, but optically it was second to none.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also a recent ES 82 degree buyer, I got the 8.8mm as it can fit the whole Moon/Sun disc at upto x142 in my various scopes. While I love the massive fov, there is a slight amount of CA around the Moon's limb although in practice it's quite hard to see simply because of the fov. That's not too big a deal really. What I have found though is that eye placement is quite sensitive, I get massive kidney beaning if my eye isn't dead centre to the Ep's optical axis. I find this a bit frustrating sometimes - it didn't happen with the Maxvisions I had (and stupidly sold).

BTW I got my ES 82 from APM in Germany by going through their eBay shop. A lot of the eyepieces are on "make an offer" and the offer usually ends up 20-25 euros under the normal price. Add to that I only ever buy stuff from ebay when I have one of their £10 off vouchers, which meant that my EP cost me £91 :smiley: . Not too bad!

I will be really interested to hear peoples thoughts on the ES 24mm 68° as I had a poor experience with both the ep and ES Europe's after sales support.

I'm happy with mine. Very comfortable, well corrected (the 82º version seemed to be even better corrected, though), very sharp central 80% of the FOV, and the rest is not bad at all. Compared to a 24mm Panoptic I noticed the Televue gave better, more contrasted views of planets. However, both were equally good on star clusters. As I'm not using it for planetary observations (not even with my f/15 Mak-Cass) I don't feel I'm missing the Panoptic at all. It's my favourite eyepiece for globular clusters and compact open clusters with the Mak.

I'm happy with mine. Very comfortable, well corrected (the 82º version seemed to be even better corrected, though), very sharp central 80% of the FOV, and the rest is not bad at all. Compared to a 24mm Panoptic I noticed the Televue gave better, more contrasted views of planets. However, both were equally good on star clusters. As I'm not using it for planetary observations (not even with my f/15 Mak-Cass) I don't feel I'm missing the Panoptic at all. It's my favourite eyepiece for globular clusters and compact open clusters with the Mak.

Do you mean that 20% of the outer FoV is not quite as sharp, in an F/15 scope :icon_scratch:

Or are you talking about in a faster scope than that ?

Do you mean that 20% of the outer FoV is not quite as sharp, in an F/15 scope :icon_scratch:

Or are you talking about in a faster scope than that ?

When compared to the Panoptic I used a f/4.7 dobsonian.

But it's worth noticing there's a slight amount of astigmatism in the 5-10% outer part of the FOV even when used in the Mak. I'm being picky here, as I do enjoy the views right to the edge of the field, as they are still very acceptable. However, it doesn't get noticeably worse with much faster scopes. Central 80% of FOV is dead sharp in any case.

Just came across this beauty, for some reason it's price has been reduced by 60 euros!

http://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Accessories/Explore-Scientific-68-Ar-Eyepiece-24mm-1-25.html

Mine is in the post :grin:  :grin:

Dave

Dave, I am prostrate at your feet.  As a result of your posting I took delivery this morning of one of the most beautiful artefacts it hs ever been my privilege to hold in my hand, never mind own.  And there's another one on the way!  As we have hardly seen the sun for eight days now and not a star in the night sky either I can only speculate on how this EP will perform.  But, in the immortal words of Kate Bush, I just know that something good is gonna happen!  Thanks a million.

Peter

But it's worth noticing there's a slight amount of astigmatism in the 5-10% outer part of the FOV even when used in the Mak. I'm being picky here, as I do enjoy the views right to the edge of the field, as they are still very acceptable. However, it doesn't get noticeably worse with much faster scopes. Central 80% of FOV is dead sharp in any case.

Maybe thats coming from the scope rather than the eyepiece ?.

I'd expect most eyepieces to be sharp to the edge at F/15. Most are at F/10 that I've used.

Hi Peter, wow, it's great to hear that you and a few others have been able to snap IP one of these beauties:-).

I had a quick peek through mine after work in daylight on my test aerial mast. I used my AR127L at F9.4.

View was pin sharp right to the edge with nearby roof tiles with some lichens really well defined and great, natural colour rendition.

Thanks for the Intel on the 14mmES guys, it will have to wait awhile yet:-).

Roy, did you find the adjustable eyecup on the Maxvisions lessened the kidney beaning you describe? I do find personally that the 68deg versions are the most relaxing and natural for me.

Guys, we have Roy to thank for this thread as he sold me 2 Maxvisions and got me introduced to the brand..:-)

Dave

When compared to the Panoptic I used a f/4.7 dobsonian.

This is where I felt underwhelmed by the ES 24mm as I felt it was soft across the field of view with noticeable distortion on the moon in an f/8. To be fair it performed no worse in my f/5 but needless to say it obvious had the addition of coma and some astigmatism from 40% to the edge.

I will though point out that I am used to 82 & 100° fields of view which tend to give you more clean centre before you notice the effects of coma etc. It may just be that I had too high an expectation for the ES 24mm and with not being used to the shallower fov I just couldn't get on with ?? The person who now has my ES 24mm seems happy enough but then I'm not sure what scope they are using it in and if they have any kind of field flattener or coma corrector ??

Another thing to note is that not long after me dealing with ES Europe, complaining about the 24mm, then there is a substantial drop in the price. May just be coincidence but again this is why I have an interest in peoples thought of the ES24.

Oh dear, sorry to hear this, it sounds like you were very unlucky and customer support didn't help  :(

Although I've been lucky and never had a problem with ES and MV eyepieces in the past, after reading your thread I'll be getting the 24mm ES68 in the Lunt or ED100 ASAP to check it's ok.  

Maybe thats coming from the scope rather than the eyepiece ?.

I'd expect most eyepieces to be sharp to the edge at F/15. Most are at F/10 that I've used.

The Maksutov-Cassegrain is supposed to show an almost free of aberrations field of view, I think?

I do notice a small amount of outer field astigmatism with all eyepieces with the Mak. Most of the FOV is sharp even with cheap eyepieces such as GSO Superviews (60º) or Skywatcher LET (56º), as is with expensive eyepieces. The difference is that astigmatism quickly becomes bad in the outer 5-10% part of the FOV with those eyepieces; in the ES68, the same outer part of the FOV is astigmatic, but the aberration is much subtler.

It might seem weird but this is consistent with my experiences looking through ES eyepieces. While I don't find them totally perfect even in very slow scopes, they're still almost equally good with much faster ones. I've used them in f/4.7, f/5, f/10 and f/15 scopes, and didn't find big differences in performance.

With F/4.7 newtonians coma will be a factor and start to mingle with eyepiece abberations which confuses things !

I've been testing the Vixen SSW's tonight with my F/7.5 ED120 refractor by getting a tight double, eg: Pi Aquillae, split and at sharp focus and then letting it drift right across the FoV with no adjustments to focus to see what happens. Quite a tough test on the optics I think.

I'm glad most are enjoying their ES's. They are great value for money at those prices - I notice that Telescope House have sold out of the 24 / 68's now :smiley:

Oh dear, sorry to hear this, it sounds like you were very unlucky and customer support didn't help   :(

Although I've been lucky and never had a problem with ES and MV eyepieces in the past, after reading your thread I'll be getting the 24mm ES68 in the Lunt or ED100 ASAP to check it's ok.  

I have to say I can't fault any of my other ES ep's other than some lateral colour in the 82°, although I had almost identical problems to the 24mm 68° with an ES 30mm 82°. I replaced the ES24 with a MV24 more so out of curiosity that anything else and I can honestly say I have found no noticeable problem in the MV with the limited amount of time I have had under clear skies.

I have found no noticeable problem in the MV with the limited amount of time I have had under clear skies.

I found the same with my 24mm Maxvision, it performed like a champ, I was a fool to sell it.

I'm not sure what happened with the ES68 24mm you had? I thought the the ES68's were the same as the MV's but with gas purging/waterproof and a bit better fit and finish?

I'd say it was a Friday afternoon EP perhaps? but you had the same issue with the 30mm ES82 so I'm not sure?

I'll let you know how mine is when I get the chance, I'm expecting a little ED70 in the post so I can  test it down to f/6 at night. 

I'll let you know how mine is when I get the chance, I'm expecting a little ED70 in the post so I can  test it down to f/6 at night.

Ah the one from abs? You were quick on that if it was... i was 4th! Really quite upset me..

I had 3 Mak's (mind you they were Lomo/Intes) and I never saw any distortions at the field edge at F12-F14 in any of my eyepieces.

Same in my slow fracs apart from a couple of really cheap ones which not good quality. Maybe it was the particular scope you had?

Dave

Dave,

The Maxvisions were fine with the eyecup either up or down (preferred down), it's the 82* I'm finding hard to get to grips with. When my eye is positioned correctly all's well, but finding that spot can be difficult - for me at least. Has anyone else experienced this?

I do find 68* more relaxing overall, maybe these new morpheuses will be a good alternative, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Ah the one from abs? You were quick on that if it was... i was 4th! Really quite upset me..

Hi Fozzie, I replied within a few minutes of the ad, but the guy said I was just pipped to the post by someone. A day or two later he messaged me saying the first guy had changed his mind so I got lucky really :) 

If I see another little ED for sale I'll give you the heads up :)

Hi Fozzie, I replied within a few minutes of the ad, but the guy said I was just pipped to the post by someone. A day or two later he messaged me saying the first guy had changed his mind so I got lucky really :)

If I see another little ED for sale I'll give you the heads up :)

I had exactly the same with my AR127L...first time of enquiring I was told the scope was sold. Then, about a week later the seller contacted me to see if I was still interested as the original purchaser was dithering.

By the way, we have Roy to thank for this thread ultimately, as it was he who introduced me to the Maxvisions (I bought a 16mm and 20mm from him) and got me interested due to the quality of these eyepieces for the price paid :grin:  :grin:

Dave

I found the same with my 24mm Maxvision, it performed like a champ, I was a fool to sell it.

I'm not sure what happened with the ES68 24mm you had? I thought the the ES68's were the same as the MV's but with gas purging/waterproof and a bit better fit and finish?

I'd say it was a Friday afternoon EP perhaps? but you had the same issue with the 30mm ES82 so I'm not sure?

From what I gather it is not the same glass in the ES & MV but the same configuration 6 elements in 4 groups. The ES24 mm though has Lanthanum glass which if the sales splutter is correct should make the ES better than the MV optically.

Having been unable to use a scope for three weeks now ,thanks to the weather, and suffering withdrawal symptoms, I set up the ED100 and aimed at a chimney stack about 120 metres distant, distant in the loosest possible sense, but the best I can achieve, and popped the ES 24mm into the focuser.

The view was bright and pin sharp, such that I could pick out the tiny individual stones in the mortar mix, between the bricks, on axis and at the extremes of the FOV, It really is a stunning eyepiece at a bargain price and I am delighted with it.

I think, Spaceboy, you really were very unlucky with yours and did indeed get a " Lemon"

STEVE

Having been unable to use a scope for three weeks now ,thanks to the weather, and suffering withdrawal symptoms, I set up the ED100 and aimed at a chimney stack about 120 metres distant, distant in the loosest possible sense, but the best I can achieve, and popped the ES 24mm into the focuser.

The view was bright and pin sharp, such that I could pick out the tiny individual stones in the mortar mix, between the bricks, on axis and at the extremes of the FOV, It really is a stunning eyepiece at a bargain price and I am delighted with it.

I think, Spaceboy, you really were very unlucky with yours and did indeed get a " Lemon"

STEVE

I can see why you were keen to try this but virtually every eyepiece I've ever owned has shown nice terrestrial views.

Separating tight binary stars, detecting faint deep sky objects and trying to tease out subtle planetary details are much more challenging for optics :smiley:

Archived