Narrowband

Explore Scientific 24mm 68deg bargain

F15Rules

Chris,

I fully agree with you regarding having to 'peer round the corner', but I've noticed that sometimes with the eyecup down and your eye in exactly the right position, the eyepiece almost seems to disappear.

The Maxvision 24mm 68 behaved exactly the same when I had an Altair 70ED.

And the ES 6.7mm 82 is great in all my scopes, even down to f/5.4

Hi Roy, how do you find the old 'eyelash clearance' when you have the eyecup rolled down?

With my last bunch of ES82's I found the same sense of the eyepiece disappearing with the cups rolled down, only that if I blinked even the slightest bit, my eyelashes painted the eyelens with lines of what I can only describe as eyelash grease :(

It is great having the sense of the eyepiece disappearing mind, almost worth the grease but not quite.

The ES100's are great for this because you can dip your eye in the dish shaped eyelens and your eyelashes don't touch. They are huge 2" EP's though. The Celestron Luminos give a very immersive experience compared to the ES82's albeit they do show the odd reflection, I've just sold mine as I'm fund raising, this might have been a mistake.    

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I don't spend much time looking at the edge of the field stop. The "limitless pool of stars" is the effect that I'm looking for, but I do like as much of it as possible to be sharp :smiley:

This is where personal preferences come into eyepiece choice though. Some folks like a delimited field of view and some are not so bothered.

I have eyepieces from 50 to 100 apparrent degrees so have a foot in both camps, so to speak. :smiley:

I found the ES100's and Luminos gave the limitless pool of stars effect, I'll have a few more goes with the 6.7mm ES82 to see if I can get the same effect.

Yes your right, I guess I only study the field stop when testing an eyepiece, but any out of shape stars do bug me if I can see them in my periphery, I think I'd rather see a well defined field stop in this case.

Hi Chris,

Interesting report:-)

I'm an interested bystander in this as my fastest scope is F9.5: however there are a couple of parallels in my experience too.

I can also see in my scopes that the 6.7 has better edge sharpness than the 24. I've now also got the Maxvision 20 68, the ES28 68, and the ES34 68 and in my scopes all of these best the 24 as well. That said, in my scopes the 24/is still a very fine eyepiece and delivers great, high contrast views.

My absolute favourite is the ES 34 68. This is a simply stunning eyepiece and the 68 degree field and long fl deliver pinpoint, uber sharp stellar points right across the field. I have had my best ever views of the double cluster with this EP. It is a real "grenade" of a unit but in a decent 2" focuser it works a treat.

On balance I do definitely prefer the 68 degree fields, I just find them the most comfortable and immersive.

Dave

That's quite a collection you've built up Dave :) Got to agree, I also think 68 degrees with good eyerelief gives a great compromise of attributes.

I very much enjoy the 24mm 68 in my longer scopes, it really is only in short fast scopes it falls down. The 34mm ES68 sounds really great, really tempting purchase for my AR127. I'm supposed to be scraping money together so we can move house so I'm actually thining out my kit at the moment, but I'm putting it on the list for the future.

I once had both the MV28 and MV40, the MV28 was superb, really sharp but not too massive, but the MV40 was literally half the size of my head! I sold it out of guilt for my Focuser :D I bet the 34mm is a good compromise.  

My absolute favourite is the ES 34 68. This is a simply stunning eyepiece and the 68 degree field and long fl deliver pinpoint, uber sharp stellar points right across the field. I have had my best ever views of the double cluster with this EP. It is a real "grenade" of a unit but in a decent 2" focuser it works a treat.

I agree. It's almost a perfect EP - tack sharp, extremely comfortable. Just love the views I get through it. So happy I bought it.

Hi Roy, how do you find the old 'eyelash clearance' when you have the eyecup rolled down?

With my last bunch of ES82's I found the same sense of the eyepiece disappearing with the cups rolled down, only that if I blinked even the slightest bit, my eyelashes painted the eyelens with lines of what I can only describe as eyelash grease :(

It is great having the sense of the eyepiece disappearing mind, almost worth the grease but not quite.

The ES100's are great for this because you can dip your eye in the dish shaped eyelens and your eyelashes don't touch. They are huge 2" EP's though. The Celestron Luminos give a very immersive experience compared to the ES82's albeit they do show the odd reflection, I've just sold mine as I'm fund raising, this might have been a mistake.

Hi Chris

I meant to add in my previous post that I've never really had to clean eyepieces until I got the ESs! Either we've got abnormally long eye lashes or the eye relief isn't what ES claim, but these are my workhorse eps so it's not too big a deal for me.

I prefer lighter eyepieces with the scopes I have , although the Tal can handle more weight I guess. Having said that, the Prinz is away getting some 'treatment' and will return with big eyepiece capability.

Hope the house move goes well, it's been almost a year since my move and having a garden was my justification to MrsC for buying loads of astro gear!

Hi Chris

I meant to add in my previous post that I've never really had to clean eyepieces until I got the ESs! Either we've got abnormally long eye lashes or the eye relief isn't what ES claim, but these are my workhorse eps so it's not too big a deal for me.

I prefer lighter eyepieces with the scopes I have , although the Tal can handle more weight I guess. Having said that, the Prinz is away getting some 'treatment' and will return with big eyepiece capability.

Hope the house move goes well, it's been almost a year since my move and having a garden was my justification to MrsC for buying loads of astro gear!

Hi Roy

Couldn't help but notice your little snippet about the Kenko F16 being away for some improvements and 2" capability...do tell us more with pics etc when ready..:-)

My Moonrakered Meade 339 lensed 80mm F15 has a crawmach 2"/focuser and to be able to use my big 2" EPs in it is a real treat. I have a Meade Japan 56mm super plossl which will give about x27 in this scope and I can get the whole Pleiades framed in it- something the designers of the scope with their 0.965" EPs probably never dreamed of - like having a 27x80 binocular!

I'm thinking of doing a report this winter on the performance of this lovely old lens with good quality eyepieces:-)

Dave

Thanks Mark, I'll be sure to do it asap:-).

By the way, just noticed one of these going up for sale on UKABS..as says 75mm but if its the model I think it is its an 80mm F15. A picture of the focuser plate would soon confirm it:-)...

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Just had a browse through the Bresser display items again and I too have managed to nab a ES 6.7mm 82° for £61 delivered.​
There is also an ES 20mm 100° for only 250 euros + del (about £180 delivered).  That is less than half price.  Awesome bargain - somebody buy it.  I would have got it, but I already have one. :grin:

Archived