Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

A meteor from last night's Perseid meteor Shower. It was a fantastic display - I've never seen so many meteors in one night, and really bright ones too. This is a single 30 second exposure at 1600 ISO taken at Ibstone Common (about 40 miles out of London).

post-33955-0-56674100-1439451511_thumb.j

• Like 8

a bit swift arn't they

They sure are...out of the well over 100 meteors we saw I only managed to capture two (a few I thought I'd caught turned out to be aeroplanes  :smiley: ). They also have a peculiar talent for appearing in the opposite direction to where the camera is pointed.

I saw 5. Disappointed. All in the opposite direction of my camera. Typical.

• Like 1

well done nice try.

bob..

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By A_Chobanova
      We carefully monitor the displacement of the radiant. It looks like a meteor shower!
    • By Mark Daniels
      Hi
      i have a few bits and pieces of space stuff i have collected over the years. I have never owned a meteor though and i thought it might be nice to start a little collection
      has anybody on here got a collection and if so could you give some advice please
      looking on ebay there are lots but i really dont want to buy a piece of african quarry or something from someones back yard!
      i realise there are many types and various areas of the world that produce but how can a novice tell that they are genuine and are there reliable/ reputable dealers or sources available?
      cheers 
    • By markarian
      Talk by Alex Pratt, BAA Meteor Section
      Free admission and visitors always welcome.
      Visual observation of meteors has been a popular pastime for amateur astronomers for many decades. Using the naked eye, sometimes assisted by film and digital cameras, observers have contributed to our knowledge of the annual meteor showers. However, interest in visual observations is dwindling because of the extent of light pollution across our towns and cities.
      Increasing numbers of observers are using video cameras, which can record meteors from suburban locations and in moonlight. Alex has observed meteors for many years, is on the Committee of the BAA Meteor Section and is a member of the IMO. He is co-founder of NEMETODE, a network of video meteor cameras in the British Isles.
      His talk outlines the developments from visual work, film and digital cameras, to video techniques and describes setting up a video meteor station. The talk includes results from meteor cameras operating across Scotland.
    • By BiggarDigger
      Hi everyone,
      over the seemingly endless summer nights I've been looking at projects to do that wouldn't be affected by the sun close to the northern horizon.  In the past, I used to operate meteor scatter on amateur radio, and spurred on by the recent article in The Sky at Night, I thought I would put together a small meteor scatter reception setup.
      The system comprises a HB9CV (a very simple 2 element phased array) a few metres of RG58u and a RTL-SDR connected to the PC in the study.  I rigged the antenna up in place of an old, now defunct, Sky satellite dish and pointed it south.  It's mounted on the side of the house, approximately 4 metres above ground with a clear view to the horizon.  This is ideal because the cable run is fairly short and no additional holes are required in the wall.
      Over the weekend, I played with a few software packages, looking for options, not just to view waterfall plots, but also to be able to log, analyse and tabulate the results.  I wasn't expecting much as GRAVES is radiating to the South, meaning it would need a significant backscatter to be able to reach Scotland and the HB9CV has only 3-4dB forward gain.  Nonetheless, I setup HDSDR and added the M4 screen capture and logging tool from Andy, M0CYP.  Tuned to GRAVES, I was hearing a number of pings during the day and had a couple of big pings too.  So I left it running  overnight and I thought I would share some initial results from last night.
      The first two images are the same ping, wrapping around the waterfall plot. 

The second two are part of a 61 second burst starting at 10:51:48 UTC this morning.  Lots of other small pings and bursts too.

There's much more to do to optomise the setup, particularly on the software front.   I played with a couple of other packages, notably "Echoes" trying to setup to log the echoes in a usable format to analyse duration and intensity, but it failed ot detect any pings.  Switching back to HDSDR almost immediately detected backscatter.
      One thing I haven't figured out yet, is the correct settings display the monitored frequency correctly on the logging tool.  The frequency scale at the bottom of the logged plots in the detection software is incorrect, while in the tool itself and HDSDR they appear correctly tuned, see attachment 5. 

Note HDSDR and the detection too are tuned to 143.050, but the logged pings are at 143.0525.  Perhaps, I need to read the help file some more...
      Looking forward to next weekend and the Perseids now!
    • By moe mountain mike
      i have an ancient watec 120n (more about that later) but recently i purchased a ZWO AI120MC. i use a Computar 5 mm f/1.4 lens, sky studio pro software( interfaces with ZWO windows driver, cool!), xvid codec, 4 second integration. no guiding (of course). pointing at a circumpolar point north by north east approximately 45 degrees declination. 
      i have been influenced by security and dash cams capturing, inadvertently, fire balls. why not do it on purpose? i have been for a few years now. sure, i capture meteors but mostly i get jet aircraft, satellites and...
      i upload videos to my youtube channel. everyone is invited to check them out.
      i also have orion all in one and an astroscope image intensifier on  canon t1i and t3i. 
      it is my opinion that there are more short dim meteors than long bright ones. there are more satellites than meteors and more jet aircraft than satellites. something else...you foe? cloudy nights? check out my star field time lapses.
      youtube, what can i say? full screen in darkened room, make sure the gear has HD in red, click and select if not. find an intriguing clip? get a youtube down loader for best quality on your local drive. try adjusting play back speeds. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.