Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

jetstream

A bright Swan and a few others

Had a go at Sh2-91... :-(

North American was good, gamma Cygni its usual mess of stuff, tulip there, ic5068 and sh2-119.... But not 91. Maybe I need darker skies (transparency was pretty good) or more likely a bigger scope to give me more image scale. Ho him, one for the perfect skies list.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

I tried Sh2-91 last night Peter too with my 22" dob and really struggled to see anything.

You were not wrong Steve, this is faint!

That or I was not in the right place?

My skies at home are pretty good, not deepest Wales quality but naked eye Andromeda, M13, the normal veil and the crescent are like b&w photos in my dob. Last night was pretty good here on the other Cygnus targets.

From Albireo moving up the cross of Cygnus there was a naked eye brightish star which I'm pretty sure is 12cygni, I scanned around that area for ages with the 21 ethos and oiii but no joy.

There was maybe a hint of something in front of a small chain of stars which seemed to flick in and out of view as I scanned up to it but certainly couldn't say I bagged it, even if this was it?

From the linked article it seems quite easy though which makes me think I was off it?

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/celestial-objects-to-watch/summers-overlooked-deep-sky-objects-08072014/ 

"Maybe you'll share my "where have you been all my life" reaction when I first trained my 15-inch reflector at 64x on the wispy streak. While dim, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to see." - not for me, lol!!!!!

Unfortunately my star charts don't show it? Be great to find a detailed more zoomed in star chart that shows it's location so I can be sure I'm in the right place?

• Like 2

Interstellarum has it, though I am finding it misses other things. I mainly use inverted wikisky images to help me ID stuff I find.

Peter

Cheers Peter, Interstellarum is on my wish list but I haven't taken the plunge yet.

I've searched online for a better sky map of it but had no joy sadly. 

I tried Sh2-91 last night Peter too with my 22" dob and really struggled to see anything.

You were not wrong Steve, this is faint!

That or I was not in the right place?

From Albireo moving up the cross of Cygnus there was a naked eye brightish star which I'm pretty sure is 12cygni, I scanned around that area for ages with the 21 ethos and oiii but no joy.

There was maybe a hint of something in front of a small chain of stars which seemed to flick in and out of view as I scanned up to it but certainly couldn't say I bagged it, even if this was it?

That sounds exactly what I saw Simon. 

I was far from sure I saw anything either. It was a case of "Is it, isn't it?" :D

• Like 1

A must for the Isle of Wight.....

Peter