SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher panaview 38mm

Sweety

........a very good excuse to buy a telescope then!

Welcome to the SGL.

The 32mm on my Skyliner is a fabulous eyepiece for my needs. It was purchased solely to enhance my view of M31 Andromeda.

The standard 25mm just gives me a tiny little grey smudge/patch from my observatory.  Then I bought a 60° afov BST Starguider. The view is wider but about the same  result, a grey small patch in the sky, just visible?

Now go to a really dark site to view  and wow! feels like a different telescope, seems more powerful, and the views are just stunning, and now M31 is HUGE? so big, my 60° is still  not big  enough? 

Enter the 32mm Panaview. I can only imagine what your 38mm will be like on your Skywatcher Skyliner 200P   :grin:

All eyepiece / telescope combinations will work their magic /better  from the darker sites.

Daiwelly, Lol,  SWG is getting bigger! despite living in Scotland ? 

.......magnification or Power is derived by dividing the focal length of the telescope by the focal length of the eyepiece.

In my case the focal length is F-1200 ( meaning 1200 mm ) and if I use a 6mm Eyepiece, I get 200X magnification or Power.

1200/6=200

If you look at the size of the aperture on a Newtonian telescope, like mine again, it is rounded down to 200mm (actually 203.1 something?) 

using this figure of 200mm Aperture, I can relate the same number to the power, stating that my telescope is capable of givibg me a magnification (power ) of 200x  

.........I don't have any experience with using a refractor, except for the finder-scope on my telescope,! but I  highly advise you too investigate/consider a Newtonian reflector telescope on a Dobsonian mount in either a 6" (minimum ) or 8".

Some folk are very skilled and  can produce their own scopes, but the Sky-Watcher versions are  cheap/ish as scopes go, and  are great value for your money. A good all round telescope, easy on the eyepieces, Not too fast, not too slow, and your Panaview would work well  with this type of telescope. By all means look and learn about the refractors, more advice from the good folk here at sgl will follow,  but  keep an open mind as to what's available, try them out first if you can at a friends house, or a club, to get a feel for what you need.  Here is a wiki link about the Dobsonian in general. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobsonian_telescope

.........I think my 8" is fully portable? I also have my own car! and lots of dark skies and space up here in Scotland. If you don't have far to  walk/carry my scope is about ....   Weight: 26.64KG (OTA=11KG, Base = 15.64KG)  

I can lift the whole thing right in front of me and walk it around my garden ok, or separate the two sections and take one then the other. A 6" would be even lighter.

I see smaller scopes now , I know their lighter, I even have a smaller scope!  but the bigger the better is normal for visual observations? more aperture allows you to see the fainter things, given the right conditions. If I look at my telescope now, I know what to expect and I'm happy with it, but when I see smaller scopes now, I wonder how capable they really are against the 8" Skyliner. I know my Celestron 127 is not good, but that is a cheap scope, there are better constructed lower apertured scopes out there

If we don't try them or test them, we'll never know, I`m not sure I could buy another telescope of less than 8" aperture in a Newtonian format.

Even large bins are pointless (TO ME IMHO......before I'm whipped?)

I have 15x70 binoculars( and 20x80s before!)  and I don't rate them at all  for Planetary work?  I can see a  very small bright white disc that is Jupiter, yet no details of the surface. You would need 100mm objectives ( that's my belief, to start getting any kind of  detail ) but that just could be my eyes, but for lower powered binoculars 7x50, 8x40 and the others below 10x are magnificent for wide expansive views of the night skies, and of course, the Moon.

Thanks for the replies guys, the big binos I will be using will be for comet sweeping, they will be 20 x80's. The scope will be for some closer views of all objects including any comets I may find,wishful thinking there lol. Both binos and scopes are gonna be taken on holidays too, I'm going to be living in Cyprus for a year or two at the end of the year.thanks , darren.

Archived