Perseids 2015 & Storm potential

Hi everyone,

Hope you're meteor spotting goes well tonight.

Just a quick warning to anyone along the south coast of England. There IS currently a storm rumbling away out in the channel (fair bit of lightning too). Looks like it's moving fairly slowly but keep an eye out & stay safe.

I went out from 10:50 to 11:20 approx and counted 7 meteors in that period. A couple of really bright ones up through Cassiopeia. A few headed across Pegasus and faded out around Vulpecula / Sagitta.

Quite good going compare with previous occasions !

Been looking just now. Counted 10 in about 15-20 minutes, most of the ones I saw were around Ursa Major/Bootes/Hercules/Draco.

And my partner's 13 year old son, who thinks my going out late at night with binoculars is "weird", was stood there going "Wow" and "whoa" at them......

Sorry, Dave in Vermont. Didn't mean to get your hopes up. :p

Walshie, it was kind of the same the first time I took my wife out to see them. She wasn't very happy with me dragging her out at first (she's not a night person) & when we got to our viewing destination, she grumpily asked what she was looking for. I simply replied, "You'll know when you see it." just as one streaked across the sky. Her immediate reaction was a very genuine & very impressed, "WOW!" We stayed out for 2 hours. :p

Well, a lovely clear night here in the end. Saw 12 gorgeous streaks across the sky, but alas, I don't think I caught any of my camera.

I DID, however, step on a slug so, swings & roundabouts and all that. :)

Archived