Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another 1st light another Lunt 50

Pete Presland

Well finally took the plunge and purchased a Lunt 50 not that easy to find them in stock to be honest. Very well package, the scope was very safely packaged in side a foam surround and the was also inside a larger box full of foam chips as well. :smiley:

post-5271-0-16419500-1439407059_thumb.jp  post-5271-0-33178400-1439407039_thumb.jp

First impressions were it is substantially heavier than the PST and it felt very well made. Very nice solid screw on lens cap to protect those optics. I mounted it on my Orion EQ1 via the 1/4 UNC screw. Long term it will be going on the EQ5 probably, although the EQ1  was fine.

First views were with my trusty Televue plossl's  no problem focussing from the 32mm right down to the 8mm. The tuning ring does require patience and practice even for veteran PST user like myself :grin: I do think that the PST gives a quicker "out of the box" view and is easier to use, but that doesn't mean I think its a better scope just less of a learning curve maybe. I did for a while think I had bought a scope that just  showed not much more than a "white light" view, but this was down to my inexperienced not the scope! I also think I might be experimenting with filters as well due to the bright views.

I used 2 eyepieces for most of the session.

20mm gave a reasonable size disc with some pleasing detail on the surface and a sharp view of the large prom from the weekend, but only when the prom was centered in what feels like a sweeter spot in the centre.

8mm Good size disc nice detail and the prom group visible on the edge of the field of view as well as in the centre.

On the negative side! When focusing early on the focuser sounded like it was full of grit then jammed, I was horrified to see the Philips head screw on the focuser barrel was very loose so the focuser was grinding on it during turning. This extremely poor a product that cost the best part of £1.000!  Also it would not hurt to have supplied a sol searcher type product as standard for that price range. 

One question I think I read somewhere it is ok to leave the pressure tuner pressured?

Obviously these opinions are just mine and are initial findings rather than set in stone. Hopefully somebody will find them usefull along side all the other excellt 1st light s on here and other sites.

Looking forward to imaging with it , but that's for another day. :laugh:

post-5271-0-89133300-1439407093_thumb.jp

post-5271-0-60722400-1439407120_thumb.jp

Good report, Pete. Nothing can beat an honest, unbiased appraisal.

You make an interesting point about the PST's 'out of the box' appeal. I'm on a journey with my Quark.

I shall await other comments with interest.

Archived