Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Jimmyj

Best app to use

Hi, i am a total newbie, maybe i just like looking at the night sky, ive got a telescope and i can just about get the moon what is the best app out there to use to help me identify whats up there? Thanks for the help.

For Android I use Google Sky Mao. On laptop I use Stellarium.

Both are free.

Good luck with getting set up :)

I would honestly say a book is about the best way to become familiar. Otherwise people seem to refer to the app and either never quite learning to recognise things themselves or they take a long time.

It comes across that they rely on the app to tell them what is at any position. So have no reason to commit to memory.

How people use apps is an interesting subject. Personally I use Stellarium to plan my evenings viewing targets, and my son likes using Google Sky Map when I take him along. Once I have The Sky and Telescope Star Atlus and Turn Left at Orion I will probably use apps much less.

I too am a newbie and have looked at many apps but I find  Turn Left at Orion explains not only what is up there but also what to expect to see in your eyepiece depending on the type of scope you have.  

Les

I like to preferably bring out a book and look at star charts but when I want to u se my phone, I use the app "starmap pro". It costs 20$ but you can get the free one.

I find a phone destroys dark adaption - but can be very convenient. Try to keep your observing eye closed while using it, though, to preserve dark adaption. Also, a sheet of red plastic gel will help too.

A book is a better bet, but tends not to have the same detail or depth.

I use Sky Safari Plus for my iPhone (which has a small charge), and the Sky and Telescope Pocket atlas (cheap, conveniently sized) or the Interstellarum atlas (expensive, large, but beautifully detailed).