Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Still having issues with eq5 goto accuracy

acharris77

Hi all, I still need help with my EQ5 pro goto alignment. The scope will go approximately to the first star, for example, Alioth. I center the star and then I chose vega and the scope seems to arrive way off target. So chose Caph as my 3rd star and the same again, way off. Then the goto is off.

My setup procedure is:

Point N leg to polaris

Level tripod with spirit level

Attach mount head

Polar align by using a printout put polaris in the same position in scope

Set the home position

Attach weight

Attach 130p DS so pointing north

Balance scope on Ra and Dec

Configure handset double checking I input all ok

I don't know if because I got 3 at the top of my polar scope reticule, I am putting polaris in the wrong place by following the diagram. The scope is balanced, leveled and good power supply but it just not accurate on the goto.

I am getting frustrated as this is my 4th try and not done any observing or imaging. Also clouds keep rolling in, so I can't take another go at it so then it in doors for a few days lol. Any help as I am puzzled now. Thanks in advance.

Which software is in the handset?

Use 2 star alignment. They had a problem with 3 star alignment in that 99% of the time it failed. From an assortment of conversations the reason seemed simply that they had applied a tolerance that was too tight so unless things were just about perfect you had no chance. When they "fixed" it the opinion was they simply increased the tolerance sufficently that people now had a chance.

The old problems are Long and Lat are the wrong way round, UK date format entered not US format, DST incorrect, Timezone incorrect (was a firmware error on this).

The catch is (and do not take this wrong) everyone says they have it all 100% right.

Using Lat and Long, if you see 52o 30' and 2o 00' the first thought is "numbers are right". They are if they correspond to the correct entry, since EQ5's want Long first then the example is in Brazil.

Does the handset display the timezone ?

If so check that, as said there was a bug in one version of the firmware.

Yesterday was 08/10/2015 as far as the scope was concerned, if you gave the UK form of 10/08/2015 then the scope has been told it is Oct 8th 2015.

I know it is a pain but check that the location is 150% correct:

Longitude is something like 002o 10' W  - - check it is W and that there are the correct number of leading 0's.

Latitude is something like: 52o 30' N.

Check that the Timezome is UTC.

I HAVE GUESSED AT LONG AND LAT VALUES.

Power the mount off, wait 10 minutes then power it on then check and verify that the location data displayed is as expected.

Hopefully it will be and that means the retained data is OK. Including Timezone.

After that it is the entered data that needs being sure about, date is the obvious here, then DST which is On (at present).

From what I could see the start position is in effect level and North, I would just try 2 star alignment.

The first bit of the post reads that you are a little unsure of the polar scope view?

It also reads that you had a print out of the expected view?

Quick question: Was the print out using UTC time? Just that we are one hour difference to UTC and you could have a mismatch there, and as the 3 star alignment determines the cone angle (No idea what that is) and from past Synscan problems with cone angle, you could be causing the failure from possibly 2 different times being used. It is the sort of oversight that easily occurs.

If you were setting up at 22:00 then the UTC time is 21:00, that is one possibility, especially with the 3 star alignment.

So if you set up at 22:00 with an expected polar scope view for 22:00 (UTC) you would be an hour wrong.

For polar aligning.

Stand behind the mount and look at the sky, check to see where Ursa Major and Casseopeia are in the sky and then compare that to where the asterisms of the two constellations are in the polar scope (does the EQ5 polarscope have these ?). Rotate the mount on the RA axis so that the asterisms match the actual orientation and then polar align.

Something to try for star alignment. 

After setting up and polar aligning do a one star alignment. Where ever the mount stops, declutch the mount and manually slew the telescope on to the alignment star. Lock the clutches, press enter to accept the alignment and send the mount back to the home position. It will probably park itself and a different position to the normal home position. At this point switch off and  release the clutches again and swing the telescope back to the normal home position. Retigthen the clutches and switch back on. Do another star alignment. This time the alignment should be closer than the first attempt.

Hi i have the same scope and mount which i purchased a month ago so you should have the same handset a V4. A few things to check.

Are you using a compass to make sure the N leg of the tripod is pointing North? Also make sure that it is Polaris in the polar scope. if your latitude setting on the mount is slightly off it could be another star you are polar aligning... I know this may sound silly but its easily done if your not used to polar aligning. I did this once and it will throw everything off. Polaris should be quite bright in the polar scope even at twilight. I'm sure its only a small mistake you are making. I have no trouble with my mount and only do a 1 star align which gives me up to 120 sec exposure time but i make sure polar align is spot on, goto's are very accurate right in the centre of the camera field of view or eyepiece.

regards

Jason :cool:

Thanks all for some great advice. I know it is a little mistake I am doing, and if I am honest I think it is the polar alignment. Yes the handset is V4 software. Having owned the alt/Az syncscan I know that the date format is American and know the co-ordinates are correct.

I am sure I got polaris, as checked with Google Sky Map but will check again. The polar scope markings are confusing and look like below. The 3 is at the top, with 0 on the left, 6 on the right and 9 at the bottom. I haven't got a little circle for polaris like all tutorials show. This is confusing to me.

I will have to try a compass and maybe only doing a 1 star or 2 star alignment. Thanks again and any advice on this polar scope be appreciated.

post-3939-0-81425100-1439310910_thumb.jp

Is that not the reticule for the Southern Hemisphere?

I thought that Octans is the constellation/asterism used when you are attempting to polar align in the southern hemisphere.

You might have the wrong polarscope, somehow.

Yes no wonder you are confused this is either the wrong polar scope or a new type skywatcher are now putting in the mounts. looks like it could be for both regions but is very different to the standard one. What instructions did you get with the mount, do they have GB on the bottom of the front cover?

I don't know tbh, I bought the mount from FLO and this is the polar scope that came with it. I might have to give FLO a message tomorrow and see. As if this is a polar scope for the South, then makes sense why I feel like an idiot lol.

Thanks all

Does the instructions for the mount show that polarscope when it explains the polar alignment procedure?

I think it may be a new type as it does say ncp and scp on it for North and South celestial pole but don't worry if it's wrong, FLO will sort it out. : )

Just an update and maybe something that will help people in the future with the EQ5 pro goto mount. Looks like this is the new Polar Scope by SW. Below is the amendment sheet with the instructions for the mount lol.

Looks like I got some learning to do again on polar alignment lol. What you knowledgeable people think? Thanks.

post-3939-0-78835600-1439313368_thumb.jp

Octan is the one used to polar align in the Southern Hemisphere, I read something the other day that showed a reticule with Plough, Cassiopeia and Octans on it, thus doing Northern and Southern by puttin the constellation at the right place.

Have a look at this AZ-EQ6 manual on page 13 it shows a polarscope/reticule with 3 constellations on and Octans is stated for Southern Hemisphere alignment.

AZ-EQ6.pdf

I can understand a reticule that has all 3 constellations but not one with Octans alone. Was there not a spell of one manufacturer who supplied a load of poalr scopes with the wrong reticule in some time back? One may have resurfaced.

Still contact FLO in case the problem is more then a change, you could still have the wrong item.

The "new" pattern shown would imply that for Northern hemisphere you now must have the appropriate synscan handset or another application to tell you where Polaris sits with that polar scope. So a manual or motor drive only EQ5 cannot be aligned without such app.

As Ronin says, the instructions seem to say that the inner calibrated 'clock face' circle should be used for positioning polaris and the Synscan handset or other appropriate PC software will tell you where to position Polaris on the clock face as long as you have 0 pointing to the top (the position angle, hour angle?). Very similar to what I do anyway, except i use my RA setting circle instead of a reticle. Their solution seems quite good actually. The lack of northern constellation may be a pain for some, but I have never found them that accurate.

Archived