Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Dom1961

Genuinely surprised!

I've always thought of my garden as moderately light polluted. However tonight, I have noticed that all of ursa minor is visible and (this really surprised me!) the milky way is ever so slightly visible! At first I thought I had loads of high cloud. But as the other clouds blew away, a misty patch almost followed the direction of the main line of cygnus. A quick check on my planisphere and I found out its the milky way! Is this common to be seen in a moderately LP garden in the town?? Or am I going mad?

Edited by Dom1961

On a good night I can see the Milky Way overhead from my South London outskirts garden.

Dave

Maybe there was a power failure for half of the town and you were less light polluted.. but if you seen the milky way, you've seen it...

Seen the milky way, M94 and dumbell neb all in one night! Amazing night! Plus doing an all nighter for persieds :D I LOVE ASTRONOMY!!!

• Like 2

From my garden on the finge of a large town I can see the milky way extending from Cassiopeia, through Cygnus and into Scutum on a decent night (tonight for example !) and M31 is just naked eye visible once it's risen a bit higher.

I've tended to think of my garden has having some LP issues, which it does, but I've still been able to see some quite faint stuff by picking my targets :smiley:

I've always thought of my garden as moderately light polluted. However tonight, I have noticed that all of ursa minor is visible and (this really surprised me!) the milky way is ever so slightly visible! At first I thought I had loads of high cloud. But as the other clouds blew away, a misty patch almost followed the direction of the main line of cygnus. A quick check on my planisphere and I found out its the milky way! Is this common to be seen in a moderately LP garden in the town?? Or am I going mad?

Dom, your garden sounds like it's darker than my dark site!

... , a misty patch almost followed the direction of the main line of cygnus. A quick check on my planisphere and I found out its the milky way! Is this common to be seen in a moderately LP garden in the town?? Or am I going mad?

You're doing astronomy, so yes, you're going mad. However, the milky way is pretty bright through Cygnus. I can see it on a good night from my high light-pollution back yard, and if I can see it here on a good night, then you can see it most places. 

Still mad though. ;op