SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Genuinely surprised!

I've always thought of my garden as moderately light polluted. However tonight, I have noticed that all of ursa minor is visible and (this really surprised me!) the milky way is ever so slightly visible! At first I thought I had loads of high cloud. But as the other clouds blew away, a misty patch almost followed the direction of the main line of cygnus. A quick check on my planisphere and I found out its the milky way! Is this common to be seen in a moderately LP garden in the town?? Or am I going mad?

From my garden on the finge of a large town I can see the milky way extending from Cassiopeia, through Cygnus and into Scutum on a decent night (tonight for example !) and M31 is just naked eye visible once it's risen a bit higher.

I've tended to think of my garden has having some LP issues, which it does, but I've still been able to see some quite faint stuff by picking my targets :smiley:

I've always thought of my garden as moderately light polluted. However tonight, I have noticed that all of ursa minor is visible and (this really surprised me!) the milky way is ever so slightly visible! At first I thought I had loads of high cloud. But as the other clouds blew away, a misty patch almost followed the direction of the main line of cygnus. A quick check on my planisphere and I found out its the milky way! Is this common to be seen in a moderately LP garden in the town?? Or am I going mad?

Dom, your garden sounds like it's darker than my dark site!

... , a misty patch almost followed the direction of the main line of cygnus. A quick check on my planisphere and I found out its the milky way! Is this common to be seen in a moderately LP garden in the town?? Or am I going mad?

You're doing astronomy, so yes, you're going mad. However, the milky way is pretty bright through Cygnus. I can see it on a good night from my high light-pollution back yard, and if I can see it here on a good night, then you can see it most places. 

Still mad though. ;op

Archived