Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problem w/ Nebulosity and Orion G3 CCD

I have been using Orion's StarShoot G3 Monochrome CCD Camera and the Orion Camera Studio that they provide with it but I am not very satisfied with the software. It is not that stable and has other issues that make me wonder if a 10 y.o. kid testing his newly acquired coding skills developed it.

So...

I downloaded Nebulosity 4 and I have been trying to get it to work with the G3 using the ASCOM driver but I'm not quite sure where I'm going wrong. It seems to be connecting but, when I choose preview or any of the other action buttons to make the camera work I get the message "Error Setting Bin Mode".  At times I also get a message that 'Nebulosity waited 30 seconds but didn't get anything from the camera'. All this makes me wonder if the camera is actually connecting at all.

I know that the cable isn't the problem because I have been able to get a cheap Orion Planetary Imaging Camera to work with it just fine by choosing the WDM Webcam from the camera control selection list. I have installed the ASCOM driver from Orion's web site as well. There is also a choice for Orion StarShoot (Original) but it doesn't connect at all so I am at a complete loss as to what I am doing incorrect or where to go from here.

I would appreciate it if anyone would give me some advice to get me going in the right direction.

Have you downloaded the latest version of the Orion Camera Studio software, version 1.8.0.0?  It really does work and the processing is simplicity itself.  The original on the CD was Rubbish and it wasn't until version 1.7... that they provided a half-decent program.

Just to add to the last post, although the capturing process has been working fine, with last nights images of M81 and M82 I was getting problems with the processing - mainly out of memory.  So I think they still need another update!

Archived