SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Perseids are getting a lot of attention here. The media has jumped at the story that the Moon is cooperating by not showing up. Here's a taste of the news from here in Podunk:

http://www.wptz.com/national/perseid-meteor-shower-expected-to-be-stellar/34610562

Now all we need is the weather to play nice!

Dave

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw three the other night,one with a lingering 'streak'.Also a quite bright 'sporadic' that had little or no discernable trail,but moved quite sedately across the sky for maybe 60-70 degrees from Andromeda,moving North,north West. It looks very promising for Perseid watching tonight and right through until the dawn.

Managed 2 that were obviously Perseids, one had a red colouring - potassium ? - the third was in/from another part of the sky.

Lots of satellites, should have took binoculars, some patches that my poor eyes could not make out too well.

Weather looks like it will not be good for the rest of the week.

Did notice the Pleiades are beginng to rise at about 12:30 in the NE - winter is coming !!!

Couple of long fast moving ones crossing down through Cygnus (what I was observing), no obvious trails. If it's clear again I will use a wider field of view optic and lie on the grass again and see I can pick up any more.

Cheers

Peter

My daughter went to her friends open-air birthday party at the weekend - farmhouse in the Lincolnshire countryside over two miles from the nearest streetlight.

She said the Plough was amazingly bright, the Milky way looked like 'dust full of stars' and she saw 'at least eight' shooting stars - she wasn't aware of the Perseids!

Hope I get a change to set up my scope there one day!

Just saw ISS pass and around 10.50 going south below Ophiuchus was a bright meteor - a bit like flare dropping and bursting  with a hint of colour  -  not sure if from this position if it would be a Perseid though ?

andrew

Seen 30 plus tonight.  Superb night.  Saw loads of deep sky objects and managed while I was around Andromeda to catch a Perseid in the eyepiece, briefly of course.

I really didn't want to come in tonight.

Getting cold and I'm tired so had to call it a night.  What a night though.

Around 23:15 it was a really clear sky.  Within an hour low cloud and sea mist came in and I thought that was it.

I left the scope set up, spent around 30 minutes inside then went out again.  Perfectly clear skies.

I've just come back in about 10 minutes ago and it is now 2:30.

Superb night for me.   Seen loads of stuff I didn't expect to see that clearly and had the added bunus of Perseids.  Does it get any better?

:smiley:

I spent the last Friday and Saturday nights camping in the Forest of Dean. Apart from the camp sites low-level lighting, which was screenable, the sky was significantly darker than home in Reading, so we took the opportunity to lie back and navel gaze.

Over the two nights of clear skies, over about 2 hours each, we saw no more than 15 meteors and at least that in satellites. I even saw a satellite flare for the first time, when it reached a very high brightness briefly then faded.

What was unusual was that there wer3e still as many sporadics as Perseids and I saw three in succession drop south past Arcturus, leading me to think that there were other radiants active. I too saw a long slow red meteor cruise from around the west into the southern milky way before fading with a soundless pop..

It was lovely to sit out with t'family and drink and gaze. Good viewing was had from a relatively dark site and good walking during the day.

The perseids should be stronger this closer to the peak though and I've been saying that for a few years now. I suspect that the peaks is getting narrower. Im sure as a kid I was out for the week before and after and still seeing dozens.

The weather for the rest of the week looks poor for observing so I shall have to hope

Mike

Got up last night just after 1.00. Saw 6 in 45 mins including 3 in a short space of time - probably less than 2 mins. Mainly short duration with trains quickly fading but conditions not ideal with a slight haze. But - bodes well for the maximum Wed night/Thurs morning? 

Got up last night just after 1.00. Saw 6 in 45 mins including 3 in a short space of time - probably less than 2 mins. Mainly short duration with trains quickly fading but conditions not ideal with a slight haze. But - bodes well for the maximum Wed night/Thurs morning? 

As long as the weather holds... :(

That is a pretty good return Helen, what time was this?

Is anybody seeing any early in the night? Before midnight say?

Tonight is possibly looking ok here, it's hard to tell as we are getting storms late in the afternoon and the mountain here catches clouds but with tomorrow predicted to be 39°c we may just get away with it tonight.

That is a pretty good return Helen, what time was this?

Is anybody seeing any early in the night? Before midnight say?

Tonight is possibly looking ok here, it's hard to tell as we are getting storms late in the afternoon and the mountain here catches clouds but with tomorrow predicted to be 39°c we may just get away with it tonight.

It was between about 12:15 and 1 am Jarrod - I hung around hoping to make double figures, but my neck ached!

Helen

Archived