SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does Earths moon have a name?

Pluto the Snowman

Every moon in the solar system has a name. From Phobos to Nereid to Dysnomia. I have read sometimes of the sun being referred to as "sol". (anything related to the sun is described as "solar). Does this mean our moon is called "Lun" or "Lune"?  Also many books I have read capitalize the word moon when referring to the Moon, implying thats its actual name. So is "moon" both a name and a ...............general object thingy? (forget the word for this).

Unusually, Phobos and Nereid are in the spell check. Are most of the moons added to the forums own spell check thing? (Dysnomia is still underlined)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well in Greek we call it "Φεγγάρι" (the one that shines) or "Σελήνη". Like Selenium the chemical element. Selene was a Greek godess.

Now Moon="Φεγγάρι" to us but when I see the word written here I get the meaning of satellite rather than only our moon. Our "scientific" word for our moon is "Σελήνη" for us. I guess it's Luna in English

Several I think through history and cultures.

Many bodies carry the same names as gods in different cultures Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Venus are Roman so I would say that The Moon was at one time whatever the Roman god of the Moon was. Luna at a guess. Others are Selena was another.

Google "moon names in different languages"

It's strange to me that both kids and scientists call our natural sattelite with the same name. We always had 2 xD :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Moon the simple one, and Selene mostly used by scientists.

I get it though, the capital M in "Moon".

Never thought about this matter, nice post :)

Moon is female, Frank Zappa named his daugter Moon, though his other children had some strange names as well. Sorry for the off topic snippet of useless information.

Just for the fun of it I feel the urge to point out that her full name is Moon Unit Zappa :) the other children are Dweezil, Ahmet, and Diva Muffin  :shocked: 

Its worth pointing out that for centuries the Moon was 'the moon' and other 'moons' are called that by analogy and may be more accurately called 'natural satellites' if you want to be pedantic :-)

Naturally, every culture has its own name for the moon.

Archived