Erratic Alt-Az Synscan

gray

After LCD failure my V3 handset. Managed to get a 2nd hand unit flashed at V3.36. HAd a lot of trouble with intermittent power to servo head so have fitted a latching connector. But here are my other woes - having scoured the forum I see some of these others have seen but I dont read clear answers

1) Fail to initialise properly - handset backlight on, no characters on LCD, handset CPU is cycling (see with oscilloscope), keypad has no effect. Only answer is to reconnect power and hope to see the "Initialising...." nessage

2) Seize up in use - move handset out of the mount bracket and it will just stop responding (randomly) dead until reboot 

3) Set sets off on its own - seen this at full speed and mid-rate - managed to pull the power lead before the scope hits the mount 

Cant see any obvious connection problems inside the mount head of the handset.

I've read about people changing the RJ12-RJ45 cable between mount and handset - but I think the wiring is non-standard so that limits what can be done

Anyone know if I can get a replacement LCD for a V3 handset ? the dead one is marked CB168A and the one on the replacement is marked HZN188%A. The PCB revision level appear to be the same havent checked all the components yet.

Anyone debugs the character sequences between mount and synscan handset ?

Is it still the case that the computer cable cant be used until the Alt-Az is aligned ? or is there a package now that does alignment as well as go to ?

Tips, pointers and hard fact always welcome !

Thanks - I looked at Virtuoso some time ago - its seems its been updated. I notice that it works on USB, Wifi or Bluetooth to Serial. I cant readily find a diagram to show the hook up for the serial end of things - I assume that is still to the Synscan handset RJ11: such as using the same cable that was used with Synscan re-flash - correct ?

Really I wanted to do away with the hand controller and control the mount directly - anyone cracked that one ?

Thanks happy-kat 

this sounds interesting > the serial PC connection is shown as going to the hand controller in the manual not the mount

but it's the same connector style RJ12/RJ11 

my Skywatcher mount has a RJ12 connector socket with 6 contacts - and 5 are wired to connect the handset in the curly cable to an RJ45 which plus in the handset

So can you say more about your setup

- what cable termination are you using to the mount only (RJ12/RJ11) are you using ? standard RJ11 Serial with pin 2 RX, Pin 5 TX and Pin 3 Gnd - correct ?

- what baud rate and other settings for the serial port (manual says 9600baud, no parity or stop bits and I guess XON/XOFF to the mount - correct ?

- in the manual the control codes for the handset are shown (RS232 Connection) - any idea if these are the same for the mount ?

Great thanks - it looks promising so it can help me eliminate the handset and concentrate on integrity and reliability of the Skywatcher Alt-Az mount 

if anyone is interested I fitted one of these miniature plug and socket pairs from RS components to the mount and my power cable. The plug is a bit fiddly to assemble and the plastic casing needed some minor mods - let me know if you are interested.

but now I have no more power cutouts to the mount.

99 0971 020 02 Line plugs
http://www.binder-connector.com/en/products/subminiature-connectors/bayonet-connectors/male-cable-connector/#99097110002

129-6662 Female panel sockets 

Admittedly I haven't actually set my stuff up yet as it gets dark so late and my observing spot is filled with pots of summer flowers on the decking.

Though I know from the thread that it works smart.

Once I rebuild my tablet hopefully tomorrow I will then do it.

Archived