Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tell me you had a camera pointed toward Pegasus tonight at 22:50

Essex nightsky

So tonight I am going to try capture deneb area with my 55mm lens on a dslr. Whilst setting up I noticed a very bright iss pass so stopped to observe it and as it was crossing Cygnus I noticed a very bright (easily brighter then iss) I want to say fireball, it actually looked like the haduken from the old game street fighter.

It moved from north to south in (roughly) the Pegasus area (just out of frame

Yes, saw it too from here, very fast, and very bright to be seen through this murk. From here it was more NNE to E pretty much through the great square, though as I'm not an experienced meteor observer my observation is of little value.

I tracked the iss in my 130p ds but lost it in the cloud, i think the cloud must have robbed me of the sight you spotted, i have been lucky enough to see a huge fireball naked eye a few years back, superb sight

Yes sorry reading my description it is very vague.. North to south is how I described the direction (more helpful then saying left to right lol). Looking at a star chart of the area and the bearings you gave, I'm convinced were on about the same thing... Was it just my lack of meteor observation or was this a big one?

I also see the ISS as it passed going west to east not exactly overhead but a great view and very bright I have tried before to get it in my scope but it's just too bright  you are better off just looking with your eyes when you know a bit further away it's going to be close use a dark sky filter may help 

Thurrock Essex

has anyone seen M31 to night it is eluding me  ?

Thanks guys 

Saw the second of the two ISS passes tonight - very nice in IS bins. Also saw three meteors going through the Pegasus area - but very quick flashes - one of them straight through the bins. M31 was also visible very clearly in scopes and bins - saw it in a 12" dob and an Esprit 120. Also saw M13, M57, M27, Albireo, Coat hanger, plus a few others I forget - all in a brief two hour session. Smashing when lots of different stuff is going on - despite mostly easy targets. :)

Saw the second of the two ISS passes tonight - very nice in IS bins. Also saw three meteors going through the Pegasus area - but very quick flashes - one of them straight through the bins. M31 was also visible very clearly in scopes and bins - saw it in a 12" dob and an Esprit 120. Also saw M13, M57, M27, Albireo, Coat hanger, plus a few others I forget - all in a brief two hour session. Smashing when lots of different stuff is going on - despite mostly easy targets. :)

I was way to slow to get my I.S bins I did see one meteor under cassiopeia but it was  all over in a flash I must say these is give a great view on a clear night are you as happy with the bins as I am ?

Did a full sky video of the iss pass tonight but had major problems playing back as first go with the asi 178 mc. Will try to look tomorrow as I gave up on playback with old laptop and went into the Obsy to try to image m27. Bad idea as mount decided it had no idea where park position was and would not sync on any stars just seemed to take a wild guess at where it was. Arrrrrgh hate this hobby sometimes. :(

Gareth

I didn't see that but I was at a bbq in Birmingham last night and around 9.45 I saw a bright light with a green and red dot either side, appear in the south, rise up for about 5-10 mins then go back the same way. Strange. I'm thinking a drone but we we're not far from the airport.

@Doug - yes - absolutely love 'em mate. But I did get a good look through some Svarowski top of the range bins last night and I have to admit they were superb too despite not being IS. They were so light that you can hold them steadier than heavier bins. But I wouldn't be without my 10x42 L's. :)

@Radders - yes I saw a similar thing - it was indeed an approaching plane cos I got my bins on it and it became obvious - not far from EMA either. :)

The sky in that direction was so horrid and murky that the stars of Pegasus were barely visible. For a meteor to be visible at all it must have been a real fireball.

I hate London

• 2 weeks later...

@Doug - yes - absolutely love 'em mate. But I did get a good look through some Svarowski top of the range bins last night and I have to admit they were superb too despite not being IS. They were so light that you can hold them steadier than heavier bins. But I wouldn't be without my 10x42 L's. :)

@Radders - yes I saw a similar thing - it was indeed an approaching plane cos I got my bins on it and it became obvious - not far from EMA either. :)

Hi Ya Brantuk long time no see for me family problems is keeping me busy, when I got my15x50 IS I was aware of the new one coming out ,that is what you got 10x42Ls I believe they were waterproof never had the privilege of looking through them I should imagine they are fabulous 

now as for these Swarowski  what size did you have a look through and was there a lot of difference between yours and the Swarowski be very interested in you view many thanks

@Doug - yes they are waterproof as well - the advertising gunk even shows them being washed in a bucket of water lol. I don't remember the exact size of the Swarovski's - 8x something I think - a tad smaller than the 10x42's - but they were light as a feather so a lot of the price has got to be in the metal. The glass was at least as good as the "L" series glass - possibly a tiny spot better, they were extremely impressive - but should be at £600 more.

As with all top end gear - the more they cost, the smaller and harder to discern are the improvements. We're at Kelling this year - if you're there look us up for a catch up and have a try with the 10x42's if you like - be good to cya again. :)

Archived