Hello :)

sHiMoZu

Hi everyone. I'm Rob from the West Midlands and have been an 'arm chair' astronomer for years but have never looked through a telescope in my life. I am now finally getting out of the 'arm chair' and will hopefully purchase a telescope very soon.

I have been lurking in the forum for a few days now and have found some excellent advice here so far. Hope to learn more as I spend more time here.

Rob

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob and welcome to SGL, by joining the forum you will, most certainly, widen your Astronomy horizons. The opportunity to get out under the stars, is obviously beckoning. But when it comes to scope choice there just might be another dilemma, "which one" don`t worry we are here to help spend your hard earned cash, enjoy the forum :)

Hi Rob,

Warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forums. You don't need a scope at first, get used to the sky, download a copy of Stellarium :-- http://www.stellarium.org/, if you can get a copy of 'turn left at orion' when you get a scope you'll know where objects are and how to find them. A pair of bino's would help!

Also before buying a scope find your local astro group, go along to one of  their meets and see what others have and what may suit you best.

Hi Damian,

I finally got Stellarium to work by downloading an older version as recommended by xtreemchaos.  It works superbly.  Even managed to change the Default setting -from Paris(?) to Abertawe.  :grin:

Re: Turn Left at Orion, I have seen there are a couple of versions available.  Do you think the ring binder version is better/best?

Diolch yn fawr in advance  :grin:

Mark

Thank you all for the very warm welcome and apologies for the slow reply. I'm zooming in on my first telescope purchase and am going to try an obtain a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P dobsonian. I've already ordered a copy of 'Turn left at Orion' and have had Google Sky Maps installed on my phone for a few years but have never used it properly. I will also install Stellarium on my pc.

Before I start firing away with questions, I'll search the forum first and read through what is already there and will rely on members to help fill in the gaps :smiley:

Rob

Archived