Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CCD's .....Kodak KAF8300 v's Sony ICX814

swag72

hasn't stopped raining since I got my QSI683  :clouds2:  :clouds2:  :clouds2:

Better send it down to me, then. We could use the rain - less than a foot all of last year, and none since the beginning of May (runs away and hides)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only issue is getting the exposure just right - they usually have a bright core and you may end up using two different exposures and merging them (HDR). There isn't a lot of leeway...

Not a great example these (because the background is a bit clipped) but it does show the burned core issue:

Markarians%20Chain%20LRGB%20001%20ST_zps

M106%20Final%20HaLRGB_zpsmm7drht4.jpg

ChrisH

Yes, maybe so indeed, and until I've worked more often with shallow well depth cameras I cant say. So far, though, in my astrophotographic life I've come to regard dynamic range as, primarily, a processing problem.

In LRGB there are at least two ways to attack the capture side of the problem. You can avoid applying your L layer to the RGB where the strong signal is saturating the L. Or you can shoot a small number of short subs. So far I have done that very rarely indeed because it hasn't been necessary. With a shallower well depth it might arise as a solution.

Olly

"But that old chip's so slow that you'll never pull out the faint stuff, "

I'll be convinced when I see a decent Squid made with a Kodak chip  :evil: 

Probably more to do with the weather than the sensor in the UK  :grin:

Dave

"But that old chip's so slow that you'll never pull out the faint stuff, "

I'll be convinced when I see a decent Squid made with a Kodak chip  :evil: 

There's a challenge!!! I did look at this this other night, but you do need moonless nights for OIII. Perhaps next year ..... :D

You are right about Oiii. I bought Astrodon narrow band filters (even though they are so darn expensive) because of your images and I am glad I did, thank you Sara. They really are worth the money. But I also paid extra for the 3nm Oiii filter because someone (not you) said it can be used successfully in moonlight. That doesn't seem to be true in my experience. (It was in one of those OSC vs. mono posts; I do agree that mono is better but that claim was gilding the lily.) 

I also agree (in the south of France) with your rationale (in Spain) for switching from Atik to QSI; the cooling on the 460 is anemic, my set point is only -5 C to be sure I can hit it each evening. I can't make flats in the day time, it's too hot. But the 460 spec says deltaT=-25 so it wasn't mis-represented. Luckily it's relatively low noise...   

You are right about Oiii. I bought Astrodon narrow band filters (even though they are so darn expensive) because of your images and I am glad I did, thank you Sara. They really are worth the money. But I also paid extra for the 3nm Oiii filter because someone (not you) said it can be used successfully in moonlight. That doesn't seem to be true in my experience. (It was in one of those OSC vs. mono posts; I do agree that mono is better but that claim was gilding the lily.) 

I also agree (in the south of France) with your rationale (in Spain) for switching from Atik to QSI; the cooling on the 460 is anemic, my set point is only -5 C to be sure I can hit it each evening. I can't make flats in the day time, it's too hot. But the 460 spec says deltaT=-25 so it wasn't mis-represented. Luckily it's relatively low noise...   

A bit of external cooling? SX fitted Yves' H36 with an external fan blowing across the camera's case. It does help.

I won't be taking on your Squid till I have an Astrodon OIII, that's for sure!

Olly

Thing with the 8300 is its made by many manufacturers, it would be nice to see a properly sorted shoot out between them all and the same target, same conditions etc.... this however is probably never going to happen and at best conditions messing it all up as per normal.

I went QSI as I wanted it all in one tidy box.

• 3 weeks later...

so......my question.....how would my proposed Atik 11000 on the RASA with a focal length of 620 mm fair (a perfect 70 mm imaging circle is given by the RASA with minimal vignetting easily flat field corrected).

The RASA is a big light catching bucket!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived