SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader MPCC or Skywatcher coma corrector for 150 PDS?

Hi all!

I've just bought a used Sky-watcher 150 PDS and now I´m thinking about a coma corrector for astrophotography. Which one would be the best choice?

1. Baader MPCC coma corrector. Price around 165 Euros. Suitable for all Newtonians with f-ratio of 3.5-6.0. I think this one needs both a T2 and an M48 adapter for my Canon.

2. Sky-Watcher 2" coma corrector for f/5 Newtonians. Price around 205 Euros. This one needs an M48-adapter for my Canon.

Am I right in thinking the Sky-Watcher would be the best choice?

I have the "Sky-Watcher 2" coma corrector for f/5 Newtonians" and I am very happy with it. The main difference between the two CC is that the Skywatcher one also acts as a 0.9 focal reducer, so will take you're f/5 down to f/4.5. The Baader one claims not to make any changes to the focal ratio. I believe them but as I have not used one I can't say for sure.

I have the "Sky-Watcher 2" coma corrector for f/5 Newtonians" and I am very happy with it. The main difference between the two CC is that the Skywatcher one also acts as a 0.9 focal reducer, so will take you're f/5 down to f/4.5. The Baader one claims not to make any changes to the focal ratio. I believe them but as I have not used one I can't say for sure.

Is that so? The one I saw from Sky-watcher was claimed not to alter the focal length.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Ah, Ok. I have this one:- http://www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/skywatcher-coma-corrector.html

i was not aware that there was an alternative that does not reduce the f/l. I am however still happy with mine and working at f4.5

Would you mind posting a full size image (not stacked) taken with that corrector? I would like to see the center and corner sharpness.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I can confirm that the SWCC does act as a reducer, in fact its tuneable so you can get a reduction factor of more than 0.9x by increasing the spacing distance (and the expense of corner stars). It reduced my 650mm f5 newt to ~580mm f4.4.

However, the SW is prone to internal reflections on bright stars - that is not a problem with the baader MkIII. I have both and occasionally swap between them according to what project im working on.

I think the 2 links provided are the same item - see part numbers.

I think the harrison shop is wrong in their description.

Your right, I had not noticed the part numbers, they have got it wrong. Looks like FLO is a good bit cheaper as well

Sent from my Fone

I can confirm that the SWCC does act as a reducer, in fact its tuneable so you can get a reduction factor of more than 0.9x by increasing the spacing distance (and the expense of corner stars). It reduced my 650mm f5 newt to ~580mm f4.4.

However, the SW is prone to internal reflections on bright stars - that is not a problem with the baader MkIII. I have both and occasionally swap between them according to what project im working on.

Hmm, that would suggest the Baader is actually the better choice. I´ve had enough with reflections (poorly mounted filter when modding camera) and I also read something about a problem with D-shaped stars with the SW. The Baader is also cheaper here in Sweden. Don´t know if it´s mkII or mkIII, though. From the photo it looks like mkIII, but the photo might be wrong:

http://www.astrosweden.se/baader-mpcc-komakorrektor-mark-iii/26850-0

There is also the Baader RCC for about the same price. Good or bad?

Hmm, that would suggest the Baader is actually the better choice. I´ve had enough with reflections (poorly mounted filter when modding camera) and I also read something about a problem with D-shaped stars with the SW. The Baader is also cheaper here in Sweden. Don´t know if it´s mkII or mkIII, though. From the photo it looks like mkIII, but the photo might be wrong:

http://www.astrosweden.se/baader-mpcc-komakorrektor-mark-iii/26850-0

There is also the Baader RCC for about the same price. Good or bad?

Make sure its the MkIII, it has white writing on the stop collar - the MkII has green writing - the MkII in my experience was not good at all (awful in fact). The MkIII was a massive improvement becuase as well as being reflection free - its T2 thread is removeable leaving you with a nice neat little M48 cell.

Odd that its cheaper than the SW though, here its the complete opposite!

Oh, dont bother with the RCC corrector - that isnt what I would call "multi purpose" (I think its designed purely for f4 telescopes) and I've yet to see anyone make a decent image with it. Also I think its working distance of 91mm is too long, especially if youre using a heavy camera becuase of the lever action it will have on your focuser (ie: only use if you have a very solid focuser and OTA tube wall).

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind if I wake this topic.

I found myself having the same question after reading several reviews. I was almost sure that I wanted the SW coma corrector as FLO stated it also reduces the FL, but Skywatcher states different:
http://skywatcher.com/product/f5-coma-corrector-2/

Reading Rob's comment it is clear now that modifying the spacing, it alters the final focal length at expense of corner stars. Does anyone know if this varies the same or about the same with the Baader MPCC?

@Uranium235 if you're still reading this, could you tell us why you are (or were) still using the SW even though it had some internal reflections?

I can get either of them. The SW today from a local provider and the Baader has to be ordered. Not a problem, I need them by Christmas.

Thank you,

Alex

read the reviews for the SW coma corrector on FLO's web page. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/skywatcher-coma-corrector.html

The SW coma corrector is a 0.9 focal reducer. It will cause you to use more back focus. In the case of the 150pds, more so that the 130pds or the 200pds. This results in issues with the focus tube ingress into the light path with a DSLR. So if you get the SW coma corrector with the 150PDS be prepared to take a hack saw to you new scope if you want nice round stars with even spikes.

It even happens to an extent with the 130PDS and the non reducing Baader so you have been warned.

Archived