Narrowband

Hello from dark Scotland

ShrimpBoatSteve

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Just getting back into astronomy after may years and looking forward to clear nights again and wrapping up warm.

I started looking at the stars in the back garden when I was about 6 years old and have been hooked ever since. Finally I have a bit more time on my hands and lucky enough too live in an area with very little light pollution (middle of nowhere).

Last couple of months I have picked up my bargain telescopes and DSLR and now collecting the bits required for photography and viewing. My main interest is astrophotography and I'm hopefully learning quickly.

Hoping to be an active member if work does not get in the way too much.

Cheers,

S

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve,

Warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forums. You are going to need the work to fund the astrophotog!!. There is a great book if you are starting out called 'making every photon count' this will save you cash in the long run buying once!. Great location, envy your dark skies.

Slainte!

Hi Steve and welcome to SGL, Astrophotography and very dark skies are the best combination in helping towards getting the best results for your efforts. I see our forum member Damnut has already mentioned Steve Richards book  "Making Every Photon Count" essential reading for those just starting out to seasoned Astrophotographers. Not available through normal retail outlets, however, but copies are obtainable through FLO see top of the page, or direct  http://www.skyatnightimages.co.uk

Let us know what equipment you are using, as this information will be most useful, should you ever need to post any relevant question, in the appropriate imaging section of the forum. Enjoy your Astronomy and your imaging :)

Hi there S.     I'm a little further up the A9, right at Aviemore, then follow the Whisky  trucks till you get to Moray?

I've often stopped along the A9 at night to marvel at how dark the skies were. For me, my  darkest venue is midway Grantown-On-Spey, Inverness, Elgin. 

Like you say, middle of no-where!

Welcome to the forum, and  I hope you find what you desire from this hobby.

Archived