Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unique imagery of meteor strike

Two weeks ago I was imaging the Milky Way in Austria. When processing I found something unique (I think). In four of the images a meteor strike with after that an expanding plasma cloud was clearly visible:

20142339228_d46a9a3dac_o.gif
After combining the first two images I noticed also a possible breakup event that released a blue plasma cloud and a piece of debris, while also even showing the North America Nebula:
20328835742_9b283394c6_b.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have other arrows pointing to a broken trail; do you think that is another meteor passing through?

I think this could be part of the same meteorite maybe that broke up already earlier. It seems like coming from the same direction. The four pieces are probably different pieces because they are not exactly in line.

Thanks a lot for all the nice replies. The line that I thought could have been a breakup is after thorough investigation probably a satellite or another meteor. The arrows also are probably a tumbling satellite in view. It's crowded up there smile.png But still the expanding dust cloud from the meteor stays smile.png.

The exposure times were 180s for every image with 5s interval. So this is about 12 minutes in total.

Archived