Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Owmuchonomy

Viewing season kicks off at 54'

Now then. The 3rd of August was predicted to be clear overhead so I dusted down the heavyweight. I had spent an hour that morning making a nice new base for it. Think oversize snooker triangle and you get the picture. I knew I had a fairly short window because the Moon was rising so I concentrated on Ophiuchus and Hercules. I wasn't disappointed as there are so many delights in Oph. I can't recall catalogue numbers very well these days but aside from the Oph globfest I conducted a 'face off' between the two prominent emerald planetary nebulae which for me produce some of the most concentrated colour you can witness in an EP. Truly pinpoint jewels of colour still very bright in my 10mm Baader. Switching back to my ES 24mm I did the same with M13 and M92, the latter often forgotten in the wake of the famous master cluster. A very clear Yorkshire sky helped promote considerable structure in both globs after billions of years drifting around our galaxy. The ES EP always produces great pinprick stars (yes I did collimate) and averted vision adds depth of field. Very pleased that viewing season is on the cards again. I hope you have the chance soon too.

post-35542-0-32922400-1438847448_thumb.j

• Like 2

post-40095-0-87399700-1438850881_thumb.jgreat report mate, lovely 12in scope you have. thanks for posting. charl. ps show us a pic of your guard cat,ive got one of them.

Edited by xtreemchaos

attachicon.gifIMG_20130804_132127.jpggreat report mate, lovely 12in scope you have. thanks for posting. charl. ps show us a pic of your guard cat,ive got one of them.

This is Fred, my guard cat although as you can see he is not always reliable at guarding!

post-35542-0-94751500-1438859333_thumb.j

• Like 2

cool cat mate ,very hansome, i think every skywatcher needs a cat.thanks for sharing. charl & smegul.

very nice targets and good news of a new season, I may get my chance in the weekend too after the white summer.

Neat report, just hoping to get out for the first time this month, hurrah !

Ophuichus is a great area. You may notice that by eye it's fairly empty, this is because of the great dark clouds of the MW, hurrah !

Nicko.

very excited about tomorrow night

my first nights observing in astro dark

luckily the moon will only rise about 30-45 mins before im planning to come home and where i view from it rises behind a hill so thatll buy me the 45 mins i need