Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon Image Stabilised Binoculars – Honest Appraisals Please

The new version of the IS 10x30s are now available for the first time in the UK (that I've seen).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XX6A9XQ/ref=dra_a_rv_lb_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay0bb-21&ascsubtag=6869606e7acc59cb4cfe3a90d8627818_S

From Germany and £100 more than the originals, but if you like to have the latest thing they might interest. I posted about these before and it's difficulty to see what's different apart from better battery life, presumably due to greater efficiently. I've seen mention that the new version uses computer processing to help with the IS. Does that mean that the old version just uses clever gyroscope wizardry?

Hi Chris thanks for the update of the Canon IS 11, I was not aware of a new type as I believe they all were made using   gyroscope wizardry But ha things move on technology is moving at a rapid rate  I will make more inquiries as I was thinking of the wife  many thanks 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris thanks for the update of the Canon IS 11, I was not aware of a new type as I believe they all were made using   gyroscope wizardry But ha things move on technology is moving at a rapid rate  I will make more inquiries as I was thinking of the wife  many thanks 

I'd be really interested to know if you find anything about or have any experience with the new models. I'm pleased that Canon are still committed to the IS range. I've been tempted by the 10x30s for ages and am now very tempted.

clifton_logo.jpgThese are not the second generation but at £299.00 they are  a bargain  IMHO unless you know of these cheaper happy hunting

PS.

I had a look a WEX that sell them and I can not see any difference to the Mark 1 uless you no better ? 

I'd be really interested to know if you find anything about or have any experience with the new models. I'm pleased that Canon are still committed to the IS range. I've been tempted by the 10x30s for ages and am now very tempted.

clifton_logo.jpgThese are not the second generation but at £299.00 they are  a bargain  IMHO unless you know of these cheaper happy hunting

PS.

I had a look a WEX that sell them and I can not see any difference to the Mark 1 uless you no better ? 

299 does seem like a bargain and I can't see any difference worth the extra hundred quid for the 2nd generation. Will have to see whether my car gets through its MOT!

• 2 weeks later...

To me Bins are for scanning the skies and using a tripod defeats that, especially near the zenith. I have had the Canon IS 10 x 30's and 15 x 50's for at least 10 years ( 16 years for the 10 x 30's ) and despite having a number of other bins available usually go for the 15 x 50's first for astronomy. The 10 x 30's are the smallest aperture optics that I have seen M1, the Crab Nebula, with.

The loss of sharpness mentioned by other posters when the IS is turned on seems, at least with my bins, to be due to a slight change in focus, easily remedied by refocussing. While the ultimate quality of the optics might be inferior to the top brands, the IS more than compensates for the loss of detail from being unable to hold them steady.

The 15 x 50's are heavy and chew batteries but have done many a variable star estimation.

Neither of my bins have failed and have normally been stored vertically. I had not heard of the 'store horizontal' recommendation before this thread.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Archived