Narrowband

CPC 800 XLT or NexStar Evolution 8?

Two arms are more stable than one - so I'd say go for the CPC - as a quick unqualified answer. But you'd really need to say what you want to do with it and how it's going to be used to get a more complete answer. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I hook on this thread because I have nearly the same question:

CPC 800 or Evolution 9.25

Some prerequisites: first post, beginner (no telescope so far, except for the cardboard Newton I built…), Android/PC only, just visual, no photographs (so far) and living in a quite light polluted area.

I want to buy my first telescope and I was looking for the 9.25 Evo for quite a while but after talking to a sales guy here he recommend the CPC 800 GPS XLT. They both have approx. the same price (at least here in Germany and are roughly at the limit of 2.500 EUR I be willing to spend) and the main reason for him to recommend the CPC was the far better mounting of it.

So far my pro/cons and why I would have chosen the Evo are:

- Ease of use (SkyPortal or any other even better app) and ready for everything (DSO, stars, planets)

- Portability

- Everything (power, Wi-Fi) built in

- Con: maybe the mounting (see above)?

Any recommendations?

They are the same OTA so only the mount differs so it all depends on what you wish to do with it as Brantuk says (he tends to know his stuff from experience!)

I had the single fork arm 8SE (older version of the Evolution) and the OTA is fabulous.  I didn't get on with the single fork arm so put mine on an NEQ6 pro, which is an option if you go for the evolution and decide you want to do any imaging later down the line.  If you go for the CPC mount it is a lot more stable than my old SE mount (although I do hear rumours the evolution mount is a bit better), but you are stuck with that mount - fine if you only want to do visual but the chances are you will change over time and this will then result in a full new set up.

Or you could get an 8" SCT on an AVX?

Thanks for the quick answer. Good idea with changing the mount later one.

But it seems that it comes to basic question of stability. 

The Evo mount seems to be really better (at least what I have read in other posts) compared to the "old" SE mount, but I haven't had the chance to compare the CPC and the Evo vice versa by myself to see (feel) the difference of them.

Anybody out there who did?

Regarding AVX, I thing that I can handle a fork easier then a parallatic mount. And photographs are not really what I intend to do.

Markus

Thanks for the quick answer. Good idea with changing the mount later one.

But it seems that it comes to basic question of stability. 

The Evo mount seems to be really better (at least what I have read in other posts) compared to the "old" SE mount, but I haven't had the chance to compare the CPC and the Evo vice versa by myself to see (feel) the difference of them.

Anybody out there who did?

Regarding AVX, I thing that I can handle a fork easier then a parallatic mount. And photographs are not really what I intend to do.

Markus

The Alt-Az mounts are easier to set up, but GEM mounts are really not difficult either, and in my experience more accurate (but again that is based on SE mount).  I never looked back after changing my mount to a GEM, and found the quieter slewing much more to my liking in the dead of night.  I also never intended to do any imaging at all - then over time it crept into my thinking, but it is definitely planetary only that interests me.

Whatever you go with the OTA will not disappoint.

Archived