Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light with Lunt LS50

Highburymark

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is this so called gunk we need to keep the tuner sweet ?

One recommended on solarchat is molykote 44 medium from Dow Corning.

I have the early type focuser and have no problem achieving focus with any eyepiece I have put in -no extender needed or attachment or positioning of diagonal needed-could it be the new focuser?

Be interested to know which eps you've used?

Thanks for all posts

Good news with regards to the Moonlite focuser.  

I have arranged to send my focuser over the pond so it can be measured up.  Unfortunately no one in the USA has gone ahead with one yet so Ron does still need the original focuser to enable the new design to work.  

I have asked for dual speed manual focuser to be made. 

This will hopefully not take too long (2 weeks to design & manufacture), plus postage time so maybe up to 28 days.  

Once this has been done you may want to ask Ron nicely for a Moonlite focuser  :angel:

There are the usual variants available including one that can be automated with a motor for you AP junkies, or your manual options.  

I will let you know when things are done ! Fingers crossed :)

I am currently trying to see if I can get the ball rolling with it.  Another thread has FLO chipping in saying its cheaper to go via them to get focusers added to their bulk order.  So I am going to try and tempt them to send a few in one go :)

In this case, with the focuser not being a current off the shelf model, I have been advised by FLO to go direct to Moonlite to avoid complications which is a fair shout to be honest.  

Good news with regards to the Moonlite focuser.  

I have arranged to send my focuser over the pond so it can be measured up.  Unfortunately no one in the USA has gone ahead with one yet so Ron does still need the original focuser to enable the new design to work.  

I have asked for dual speed manual focuser to be made. 

This will hopefully not take too long (2 weeks to design & manufacture), plus postage time so maybe up to 28 days.  

Once this has been done you may want to ask Ron nicely for a Moonlite focuser  :angel:

There are the usual variants available including one that can be automated with a motor for you AP junkies, or your manual options.  

I will let you know when things are done ! Fingers crossed :)

I am very interested in this option. However, which focusser do you have? There seems to be more than one variant. If you wouldn't mind measuring it up I will do the same and if they are different I can then send my info on too in the hope an all encompassing focusser can be made. Many thanks.

I am very interested in this option. However, which focusser do you have? There seems to be more than one variant. If you wouldn't mind measuring it up I will do the same and if they are different I can then send my info on too in the hope an all encompassing focusser can be made. Many thanks.

I have the one with no gradautions on the side.  I think the ones with graduations are the same in dimensions etc.   Once I get the Moonlite back from Ron and its all working and any hitches ironed out it will no doubt be easy for anyone to order one.  More to follow on this at a leter date !

I am not sure I can make really accurate measurements of it but can gove you some rough dimesions before I post it.

I have the one with no gradautions on the side.  I think the ones with graduations are the same in dimensions etc.   Once I get the Moonlite back from Ron and its all working and any hitches ironed out it will no doubt be easy for anyone to order one.  More to follow on this at a leter date !

I am not sure I can make really accurate measurements of it but can gove you some rough dimesions before I post it.

Ok, no problem. You have the same on as me so no need to measure. I look forward to the update.

That's just like the focuser on my Lunt 50 which I bought last month.

The scope works really well - I am most impressed by its performance

The only niggle is some slight movement/play in the focuser as you begin to turn it. A bit like backlash. Do you get that too?

The only niggle is some slight movement/play in the focuser as you begin to turn it. A bit like backlash. Do you get that too?

Agree thats the only problem, the play seems a universal feature of the standard focuser which is why we are all on a mission to get a moonlite for the lunt 50 sorted :)

That's just like the focuser on my Lunt 50 which I bought last month.

The scope works really well - I am most impressed by its performance

Jeremy,

I don't have any movement in my focuser - but lots of owners have reported this. Lunt also says it's normal and shouldn't impede the performance of the scope. may be more of a problem if you want to do detailed imaging. But sounds as if your scope is performing well - so nothing to get too concerned about.

Agree thats the only problem, the play seems a universal feature of the standard focuser which is why we are all on a mission to get a moonlite for the lunt 50 sorted :)

Jabeoo, do you know how heavy the moonlite replacement is likely to be?

Jabeoo, do you know how heavy the moonlite replacement is likely to be?

Sorry I have no idea at the moment, more details in a months time (or so).  I think the hardware you get out the box with the Lunt 50 is excellent, the smaller niggles are not that significant.  The main problem for me is having use of a moonlite with my dob.  The smoothness, fine control and sturdyness is just great and the Lunt 50 deserves to be finished off in this way.  However it would never have reached the sub 1K price tag if they added such a great piece of engineering.  

The hands on part of the scope should be as good as the view which in the Lunt 50's case is fantastic.

Ok - this may be the longest first light in history, but I've had something of a breakthrough this afternoon. I'm getting a little more out of the focuser - only a couple of mms, but it's made a big difference - clearest views yet through zoom EP. Joy!

How are you doing that ?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Pete - Didn't do anything differently apart from left the scope outside for ten minutes before use. Not sure that can have made any difference. Maybe the focuser needs a certain amount of use before it reaches its full range? I've never used a system like this before so am learning all the time.

Pete - Didn't do anything differently apart from left the scope outside for ten minutes before use. Not sure that can have made any difference. Maybe the focuser needs a certain amount of use before it reaches its full range? I've never used a system like this before so am learning all the time.

All part of the learning curve, thanks for sharing your experiences with it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Archived