Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone out there?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brantuk is right.  I work at a High School and the head of my science department runs the planetarium.  He teaches college level astronomy to students and the pay is pretty good.  I don't know how you are with kids, but you would be surprised how many students are interested in Astronomy.  And, you get to talk about Space all the time.  Im in a different science field, but if I knew when I was 18 going to college, I would have pursued Astronomy.  

Another way to go is to work at an observatory.  I don't know where you live, but my father lives near several large observatories in Tucson, Arizona run by the Smithsonian Institute and University of Arizona.  Basically, you travel to a very tall mountain with an observatory, sleep in cabins, and work in the observatory at night.   Sounds amazing to me, but then again, I would want to do my own research. :grin:   Good luck in what you choose.

Thank you all, I live in western NY and I don't know about the observatories here... Man physics sounds fun though XD, I can still pursue astronomy through physics! Annnd physics is one of the ways to understand more of the universe!

Another 'angle' is through the root of journalism. You're young so obv in a position where you do not need to support yourself financially yet, why not start a blog or website, capture and post images, talk about what you use, see etc, submit content and link to magazines, add some advertising. Use it as part if your CV.

Whilst my career isn't in astronomy, the above helped me get where I am now.

• 2 weeks later...

Ishaha, check out the Hayden Planetarium in NY, (If you're talking about the New York in the U.S.) Not sure exactly where it's at, but I'm sure you know who Neil DeGrasse Tyson is. Cosmos host. (The most recent Cosmos at least) is the head honcho there. He is an Astrophysicist. Super smart guy, and knows his stuff. Take a look around. Google Terry Lovejoy. He's discovered a lot of comets as an amateur astronomer. No career, just a hobby he's very passionate about. :) Just like most of us here! Best of luck to you. Sorry for bringing back a fairly old thread... :p 

Archived