Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light with new Lunt 60

Snaxmuppet

Finally got the chance to set up the Lunt 60 today. Also to try out the ZWO ASI174MM. Here is my first image... very pleased but a bit out of focus and clearly I have a lot to learn but very, very pleased with this as a first attempt. It the first time I have used photoshop too for anything major so again... lots to learn but great fun and what a challenge!

Would welcome any comments :)

gallery_43613_3882_53378.jpg

Great 1st image, what focuser do you have on the scope? I have the Feathertouch connected to my Lunt to the laptop remotely which is a great addition to get that all important focus right.

Keep at it, you're in for some fun!

Congrats

:icon_salut:

I'm not too sure but it's worth doing a bit of homework to find out as it does make things easier a little being able to focus while concentrating on the image and it'll also save your legs.

Nice first image Paul, as you say a little out of focus, but everything else, tuning, exposure, stacking and post processing looks spot on.  Like Kevin [KE400] I have had a Lunt 60 for about 3 years and reckon it is just about as good as you can get for that aperture and the money, they really are good performers.  The views are quite contrasty and don't need over-sharpening, I use Smart Sharpen and then Local Contrast (both in paint.net, but very similar to those is photoshop) 

I went for the standard Crayford and it has always worked well enough for me, I did think about motorising it, but never got round to it.  The biggest issue I find is seeing the laptop screen whilst focusing, I always try to sit in the shade (garage, summerhouse, side of a fence, back of the car) or failing that put a black coat over my head and the laptop to focus.  You get some funny looks muttering away under a black coat in the bright sun but it hasn't bothered me.

For a full disc in one shot, I would take around 30 to 45 seconds of video, so somewhere around 1,000 to 2,000 frames and expect to stack around 20% of these.  Any longer and the surface can change a bit leading to feature blur.

I have only just got an ASI174 and haven't tried it on my Lunt yet, but an ASI120MM worked very well, although I seldom take in one go, it lacks the pixels of the ASI174MM and leads to loss of detail. 

Robin

The standard GSO Crayford leaves a lot to be desired for, especially on a scope of this quality. My personal view is that the FTs, lovely as they are, is probably overkill. Especially as it is 25% of the price of the scope!

This was my solution:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/157674-replacement-focuser-lunt-l60/?p=1593585

It's pretty easy to add a standard Skywatcher focus motor to it:

8513451281_4b96a99945_c.jpg

A  Hitec DC Focus controller can then allow remote PC control.

The ASI 174 works really well with this scope. I have used a x3 Antares Barlow to good result too....that's probably getting near the limit of the resolution that 60mm can offer.

19018115273_27a1128aae_b.jpg

Full hi-res version here:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/366/19018115273_1e2c40b8e1_o.png

and here:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/356/19452336369_b04360f5ed_o.png

The ASI 174 works really well with this scope.

That's a great start Paul, I hope to be following you down that path eventually.

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but does the ASI174 give full disk without reducers?

Cheers

Ian

That's a great start Paul, I hope to be following you down that path eventually.

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but does the ASI174 give full disk without reducers?

Cheers

Ian

The sensor is HUGE on the 174.

At native resolution, you can easily fit the full disc into a ROI.

With an X3 barlow, I needed 3 panes to do a full disc

Archived