SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Camera tracking mount

Muz

Hello,

For a long time, I've been considering getting a tripod and tracking mount for my camera, for wide field logged exposure photography. I've found a good looking piece of equipment called the Vixen Polarie. Is this any good, and what are some alternative makes?

Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

One of the most popular and versatile (it will take a small scope) ie the skywatcher star adventurer It can be bought as a bundle so all you need to add is the tripod http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/skywatcher-star-adventurer-astronomy-bundle.html.

The vixen polarie is good but it does require a few extras to get going (geared tripod head or wedge).

Alan

I note that you have a 200P in your signature, what mount is it, EQ or Dob. If EQ, a cheap solution would be a motor drive kit. (not GOTO just simple tracking).

It's an EQ5 that I'm using and I do have the enhanced tracking motor kit in both axes, but it woulda be the most versatile of things if I stuck only my camera to that for wide field photography, or would it?

The SW Adventurer looks like a far better deal than the Polaire from what I've seen just from the link, as with the Polarie a polar scope alone costs something like £135!

It's an EQ5 that I'm using and I do have the enhanced tracking motor kit in both axes, but it woulda be the most versatile of things if I stuck only my camera to that for wide field photography, or would it?

Lugging it over the Fells might not be such a good idea ;) but if you can use it back garden then it should work just fine. You'll need to remove one of the weights and move the other tight inboard to acheive balance with just a camera and short lens, but it won't cost anything.

Lugging it over the Fells might not be such a good idea ;) but if you can use it back garden then it should work just fine. You'll need to remove one of the weights and move the other tight inboard to acheive balance with just a camera and short lens, but it won't cost anything.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. What will I need to attach my camera to the mount?

I use: a ball head with QR release plate and a spare dovetail bar as per the telescope for convenience. But you could use your exisitng dovetail bar and a direct bolt through into the camera socket (less convenient).

I've acquired a fairly good quality bullhead for £75, so it shouldn't be a weak link in the chain. However, I can't seem to figure out how to attach it to my mount. I have a small white plate which can be affixed to the telescope in the same place where my telescope's dovetail bar usually goes, but I am not sure if this is any use. I don't think I have a screw the right size for the bottom of my ball head. What would work?

Most likely a 3/8 screw/bolt. You'd probably need to drill the dovetail. As the metal is soft I also tapped the hole so that there is no pressure on the ball head insert.

You also need to cut the bolt to correct length.

Does this give you the idea?

post-34135-0-34177500-1438970836_thumb.j

PS the above inserts do work its just that I'm not happy about trusting one with £100s worth of photography kit.

Archived