Narrowband

Windows 10 Installed

Tinker1947

It downloaded installed nicely, done a couple of upgrades, i think it does the 32 bit then upgrades to the 64 bit, Stellarium complained something was missing before the upgrade but worked after ok, my only complaint i can't find the Windows Update Option, maybe it's me but it's not there, anybody else found it, so the Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 i haven't noticed much difference it a new Laptop so it was cluttered up to start with booted quickly anyway. 

Microsoft seem to be moving to a subscription model. In that model you would not buy and install software but instead subscribe to a service which provides software and updates. If that is the case then they have probably removed user control over updates. That would not be a sensible move but it's quite possibly what they are doing. The other option is that like most windows updates nothing has really changed, they just shuffle the menus around to give the impression of it being new.

I have 3 workstations updated, all successfully, & all apps running ok...

Windows update is now in All Settings, i.e. open Action Center from lower RH icon in task bar & select 'All Settings'

I have 3 workstations updated, all successfully, & all apps running ok...

Windows update is now in All Settings, i.e. open Action Center from lower RH icon in task bar & select 'All Settings'

Is that the basic win 10?

It should come down as part of a normal update cycle, but that would depend on how you've got it configured.  By default windows will look for\install updates over-night (00:00-03:00) unless you've changed the settings.

If you were\are part of the insider program, then you can get the downloader tool that will allow you to install now, or build an installation set for use on multiple computers.

There are two basic versions, Home & Pro, but there are other versions for different hardware platforms (even raspberry PI), as well as versions for embedded\corporate etc...

& yes, what you already have will determine what you can get....

Hi Gnomus,

Remote desktop isn't included in Windows 10 Home (which is the upgrade from 8.1 Home), you'd need at least Windows 10 Pro for that.

Ian

OK

Thanks Ian.  .................... Ah well ... never mind, I suppose

You could always upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, for about £50 for a genuine copy and then get the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, depends on whether remote desktop is worth £50 to you. Might be cheaper copies available on Fleabay.

According to the advert on TV I won't need a password as Win10 will use facial recognition so what happens when my PC World laptop goes [removed word] up ?

Do I have to go to the menders with it or just send a photo :grin:

Dave

According to the advert on TV I won't need a password as Win10 will use facial recognition so what happens when my PC World laptop goes [removed word] up ?

Do I have to go to the menders with it or just send a photo :grin:

Dave

That could be a problem for me after a night on the pop it might not even recognise me as human...

Alan

Win 10 appears to be working with all of my Astro apps (I did have to reinstall the latest version of FireCapture, but everything else seems fine).

I am free of Windows 8 - hallelujah. 

Just been outside as it's nice and clear but EQMOD would not connect.  Reason - Prolific driver not working. As I only installed Win10 this morning I assume it must be that.

Trying to find my way around System, Control Panel, Device Driver is a new experience, I,ve given up for tonight but it looks like help from Hitec astro may be needed .

Anyone else found this? Or anyone found EQMOD working OK with Win 10.

Ron

I don't suppose I'll be getting Remote Desktop with my 'Home' edition.  I didn't get this in the Win 8 edition I had.

the RDP client is in the 'microsoft store' as a free download. took a while to find it but it seems to work just fine

Archived