Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

OK, first scope, major lack of clear skies for last 4 weeks, so thought about solar viewing. I have a 102 skywatcher refractor and understand any effective filter needs to cover the main aperture. I did a quick search and the only thing i could find was this 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

Unfortunately though my aperture isn't covered.

Any recommendations on alternatives which won't break the bank please?

If your dew shield outside diameter is within the ranges of one of those filters (the two figures given in mm) it should fit OK. The scopes specified are examples of scopes that the filter with that size range will fit but the filters are not exclusive to that scope.

Otherwise you could make your own by buying a sheet of the Baader Solar film:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html

Then following these guidelines:

bauanleitung-objektivfilter-en.pdf

• Like 1

You say your aperture isn't covered, but the filters on the FLO link quote the outside diameter of the OTA, which is always larger than the aperture.

For instance, the 102 Mak uses a 110 to 120mm filter.

So measure yours and pick the one that fits.

Unless you meant to say your OTA diameter isn't covered...

Michael

• Like 1

Just ring FLO in the morning , they have your 'scope in stock and I'm sure they'll do a quick check for you ...  :smiley:

• Like 1

I have a 102 refractor, with dew shield attached, and bought my filter from FLO, so they definitely will be able to supply one for you.

But it hasn't been used at all lately ... clouds have filtered the sunlight already. Filtered it too much for any kind of viewing, in fact!

If you call FLO they will just ask you to measure the diameter at the front of your scope, where you will be attaching the filter. Pretty sure mine is the 110-120.

Edited by Floater
  • Like 1

Thanks all, was being daft and didn't appreciate they were talking about the diameter of the tube rather than the lens - doh! Is the one on FLO all i'd need?

Yup.

The usual safety precautions apply - make sure it's battened down tight and if you feel it necessary cover, or remove, any finderscope.

Edited by Floater
  • Like 1

As mentioned just above - remove the finder scope.

People put the solar filter on the main scope, then go and find and centre the sun using the finder.

• Like 1

Hi Staffop,

It is also recommended to secure the filter to the OTA with some tape, you only have one set of eyes. Simple precautions = safe viewing.

Good advice from Ronin & Floater always remove the finder the results of looking at the sun through that can be equally devastating, also can give your head a nasty burn!!

• Like 1