Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - I finally found M51

Hi all,

After many unsuccessful attempts and much encouragement and help from members here I finally found M51 from my light polluted back garden. I can honestly say that this is by far the faintest DSO that I have imaged so far with it not being visable to my naked eye at all. But with some guidance as to exactly where to look I kept imaging around the general area until I saw it on the lcd screen of my camera. So here it is, the result of just over 22 minutes worth of 52 second subs @ iso 1600. It's certainly not any where near as good as some I have seen here but given the far from ideal sky conditions from my back garden I am very pleased indeed. I think I might purchase some sort of light pollution reduction filter and give it another go in the near future.

Hope you like it and find it encouraging as to what can be achieved from far from ideal locations, (I for one am constantly amazed by the amount of objects I have managed to image from my tiny back garden).

:wave:

Ian

Congratulations Ian, both on finding it and getting a beautiful picture. When I look at it from about four feet away I find it a very good impression of what I see visually through my 8-inch from a dark site (with a much smaller field of view). I think I'll use your pic to help me spot more detail in M51. To me, visually, the clearest arm is always the one encircling the main galaxy that swings between it and the companion - the bridge joining the two of them is something I've never yet been able to see visually.

Really nice piccy ;) It is wonderful to finally find something you were looking for isn't it ? :( You've probably noticed, but you have also captured couple of it's neighbors as well (NGC 5198, 5173 and 5169)

Marius

Well done Ian :hello1: , the reprocesing has brought a little more detail out. It's an amazing feeling when M51 just 'pops' into your vision, What do you intend on moving on to next as a target?

Steve..

Good for you Space Hopper. ;) Like you, I've been after this elusive $£*&^% thing for awhile now. I know pretty much exactly where it is but I can't see it. Again, like you, I have started imaging "around and about" the area but with no success yet. Your post, with the resulting image, keeps my flagging hopes alive of finding this elusive target. :wave:

Archived