SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi All,

Just sharing my results from tonight. Once again I was lucky enough to have very clear skies. I was observing Saturn through my 8SE and I kept on pushing the magnification to beyond the 450X mark and beyond with perfect views.

With the 5mm eyepiece and the TV 11mm type 6 + 2.5X powermate the view was amazing... crisp and detailed. I thought I'd be stupid and put the 5mm and a 2X barlow to see what will happen, and even though the image was quite soft, Saturn was MASSIVE... of course that was 810X... but to my surprise I was still able to make out a brightish cloud band and the cassini division.

With such a steady atmosphere I had to try to image it and I think these Saturn images are the cleanest I captured so far, so I thought I'd share.

Work flow was I imaged the F20 pic through a Celestron 2X Barlow and the Skyris 618C CCD, and the F50 image was captured using the DMK 21au618 and a 5X powermate. The mono F50 image was used as luminance on the color data scaled up which was captured with the Skyris. I'm very surprised at the quality of planets I'm getting with the Skyris for a OSC camera.

Image processing was done done in PS, Stacking in Autostakkert and a very small amount of wavelets applied in registax 6.

I suspect I'm pushing my 8" SCT to the limit, or close to it, but if anyone has any advise or tips on how to squeeze out and more detail, please share. One feature I was chasing for over a year now was the Encke gap, I feel like I'm right on the verge of capturing it but perhaps my mirror is just slightly too small for it.

Thanks for looking...

post-43662-0-92323400-1438095720.jpg

post-43662-0-00861000-1438095728.jpg

That is one hell of a picture.

Could not believe the size of

it. :eek:

Steve.

Thanks. The 8" SCT is capable of some great views and images... If the seeing s good you can really push the 8 quite far.

You can just see a hint of the northern hexagon.

I tried to get a last run on Saturn a week ago, and when I got focus... in came the cloud.

I always saw a smudge where the hexagon is meant to be, but nothing more.... next time I'll attempt to image the hexagon shape, but I'll attempt in getting it using my DMK21au618 mono CCD and a 685nm IRPass filter.... hopefully that will bring out the shape.... seeing conditions pending...

Absolutely brill ain't captures and very nicely processed. You must be chuffed to bits with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I was quite happy with those pics... more to the fact that they were taken with a OSC CCD as opposed to a mono/filter combo. I always though that RGB filtered mono images would be sharper and generally better, but I'm starting to think that perhaps not... judging by my past RGB images of both Saturn and Jupiter compared to this nights Saturn, which is so far the best one I imaged.

Now I'm hanging for Jupiter to come back so that I can give it some serious imaging effort.

Fantastic images from an 8", up there with the best I've seen for that type of scope and aperture, congrats, I look forward to seeing your Jupiter work when it comes back around.

:icon_salut:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived