SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M13

Beyond_Vision

Yesterday was a nice clear evening for a change but looking at the weather forecast it was supposed to be cloudy after 10.00pm. The satellite images showed some cloud approaching which may hold off for a bit longer. So i duly set up my scopes at 7.00pm to cool down and waited until 9.30pm for it to get dark enough to align the scope. After getting the guide scope focused and guiding ok I centered the imaging scope on M81 and 82 and attempted to focus the imaging scope. This proved very difficult so I slewed to a bright star then achieved focus. I then slewed back to the target and the power lead snagged and the mount reset much cursing and four letter expletives latter I had the alignment set up again and was back on target. I started the first capture to check the image position and found it to be to the edge of the frame, I recentered as best I could then set it off for a 10 min sub. With 3 minutes to go to the end of the exposure the clouds were rolling in. I stopped the exposure just before they over ran the target but found that maxim had just terminated the exposure without reading the data from the camera. By this point I was losing the will to live and wishing I had stuck with my DSLR. The clouds cleared a few minutes latter and I decided to have a stab at M13 just to practice using Maxim and the CCD settings. Heres my first attempt consisting of 10 x 10 sec light frames and 10 x 10 sec dark frames and bias stacked in DSS tweaked in PSCS3 with Noels tools. Not the best M13 but an image none the less despite all the World trying its hardest to stop me.

5528_normal.jpeg
(click to enlarge)

Regards

Kevin :)

Well done Kevin, I've had similar problems with the weather myself the last few nights. I guess its onwards and upwards from now, looking forward to seeing and hearing about your experiences, and some stunning images.

Steve..

Archived