Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Altais

New software: Astrophotography Lab

Never mind, for some reason, after restarting the PC it worked!

Trying to unearth some bias file now and see how it goes :)

• Like 1

Well, let me get this straight:

The program is telling me that it makes no difference doing my frames at ISO 400 or ISO 1600 (Canon Xs). The SNR will be the same and the simulated image shows he same result.

Is that right, really?

Seems an excellent and very useful program Lars. I'll give it a try and re-post .

Clear skies.

• Like 1

Well, let me get this straight:

The program is telling me that it makes no difference doing my frames at ISO 400 or ISO 1600 (Canon Xs). The SNR will be the same and the simulated image shows he same result.

Is that right, really?

Well, in terms of SNR, the only difference between ISO 400 and ISO 1600 is the difference in read noise. If the read noise isn't too different, then the SNR will not be that much affected.

There is, however, a significant difference in saturation capacity (something like a factor of 4), which will definitely affect your image. But this won't really show in the simulated image since it only has one signal level. The lower saturation capacity of ISO 1600 could mean that you would have to use a shorter exposure time to avoid unwanted saturation, which in turn would result in a lower SNR. So it does matter which ISO you use. You could generate a "Max stack SNR vs ISO" plot to get a better idea of how the SNR will be affected, since this takes the difference in saturation capacity into account.

Sorry for the late reply.

Clear skies,

Lars