Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New software: Astrophotography Lab

Altais

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, let me get this straight:

The program is telling me that it makes no difference doing my frames at ISO 400 or ISO 1600 (Canon Xs). The SNR will be the same and the simulated image shows he same result.

Is that right, really?

Well, in terms of SNR, the only difference between ISO 400 and ISO 1600 is the difference in read noise. If the read noise isn't too different, then the SNR will not be that much affected.

There is, however, a significant difference in saturation capacity (something like a factor of 4), which will definitely affect your image. But this won't really show in the simulated image since it only has one signal level. The lower saturation capacity of ISO 1600 could mean that you would have to use a shorter exposure time to avoid unwanted saturation, which in turn would result in a lower SNR. So it does matter which ISO you use. You could generate a "Max stack SNR vs ISO" plot to get a better idea of how the SNR will be affected, since this takes the difference in saturation capacity into account.

Sorry for the late reply.

Clear skies,

Lars

Archived