Observation chair

Tzitzis

Hi fellow stargazers! 

I am thinking about making an observation chair. I have no clue about how to make it and I'm really bad at DIY. I'm 22 but I have my able father who knows about wood a lot. He suggested we make it with metal though. I don't really know, he made a sketch we will talk about it. I would like to ask your advice, your suggestions.

If anyone has made such a chair, his insight would be helpful.

Cheers from Greece

Tzitzis

Sounds like a fun project to do with your Dad :smile: Here is a good thread

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/92462-diy-folding-observing-chair-w-plans/

From experience of using something similar I'd say the important things to think about are making the space between front and back legs wide enough to avoid tipping, and making the seat easily adjustable but without the risk of slipping. Making it foldable will make storage easier, and adding a cushion makes it warmer and more comfortable.

Have fun, and post pictures as you go along :wink:

Helen

Apart from Helens excellent advice - think about how high the eyepiece will be when the scope is pointed at the horizon and how low it will be when pointed at the zenith. That is your rough range of seat height adjustments - plus or minus whatever you'll be comfy with.

Also consider use with different scope types - refractors and Sct/Maks the eyepiece is rear of scope - newtonians and dobs  the eyepiece is up front. This will affect height positioning too - you may even need a ladder with a big dob or a tennis umpires chair lol. :)

Nice! I thought about the space in the between the legs and about the seat and the cushion. I also thought about the height (horizon-zenith). Well I may be worthy as a DIY mechanic :p

The cushion will be made. My father's work is  parquet flooring. He is 56 and he had troubles with his back. He made a little square wheel-chair (or stool shall I say) with 4 wheels, low, in order to avoid bending. It's brilliant. Because the wood on the wheel-chair was too hard he took a felizol-like material and he wrapped it in cardboard and made a "cushion" :p :P :p. He will be a big help in this project.

Good luck with your project. I am useless at DIY, so I just bought and ironing chair. Being seated comfortably makes a big difference to your observing sessions.

+1 as laudropb says above, I don't see any other way of using a telescope, except from a seated position! My preference is for a sturdy drum stool.

+1 as laudropb says above, I don't see any other way of using a telescope, except from a seated position! My preference is for a sturdy drum stool.

You play the drums too? Nice! 

There is a good site on Yahoo Groups. Write in .......  " Telescope Observing Chairs ", then click on search.

Edit: Also, if they are available, you might want to consider an Ironing Board Chair, which folds flat and is adjustable for height. I use one with our small refractor, and find it works well. Here is a photo of one next to a couple of drummers stools, all were purchased in charity shops.

post-21902-0-86380500-1437917821.jpg

Archived