SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrophotography with samsung galaxy s5?

Hello, I'm wondering what is the best way to attach my s5 to my SW 130 explorer on eq2 mount. I have seen a few posts on the net of people who have taken some pretty decent pictures with their smartphones and thinking about giving it a go, I can't really afford a dslr camera or decent eyepiece webcam at the moment. I seen one photo of Saturn, someone recorded a video of it and then stacked the frames using registax and then some other editing but it looked awesome! Can anyone recommend a good adapter or any tips on building one myself? Also is it possible to do any long exposure shots with this setup for dso's, I'm pretty new to astronomy and completely new to astrophotography but have been doing a fair bit of reading on here. Any help thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Holding your camera to your EP can take some time getting it right and by the time you've got it, the planet or whatever has passed your fov. It's a pain I know. A couple of links below.

http://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-Digital-Camera-iPhone-Smartphone-Microstage-Adapter-for-Telescopes-Spotting-Scopes-and-Binoculars.html

http://astronomy.wonderhowto.com/how-to/cheap-diy-telescope-mount-makes-you-instant-iphone-astrophotographer-0140071/

I got into astrophotography by starting out using a smartphone, it is quite fiddly but certainly possible.  I used this adaptor with my iphone 6.  It is a bit tricky to set up, I found attaching the phone to the eyepiece indoors in the light was best.  The phone needs to be the right distance from the eyepiece to get a clear field of view.  I also found focussing on the phone tricky but there are apps you can get that let you focus manually if your phone doesn't let you do it by default.

Taking videos of planets or the moon and stacking the frames works well, although it is certainly possible to do longer exposure shots for DSOs if you have a motorised mount.  Planetary nebulae are good as they take the extra magnification from an eyepiece well and can be quite bright.  The two attached images of M57 and M27 were taken with an iphone through my SW 150p.  The app I was using let me take 30s exposures, although I suspect what it was actaully doing was stacking shorter exposures inside the program.  It did the trick though.

Cheers,

C.

post-44824-0-81919300-1437833196_thumb.j

post-44824-0-89967200-1437833197_thumb.j

Archived