sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

EQ6 mount - power lead loses contact.

MikeMS

Good afternoon all.

Please can I ask a question.

I have a EQ6 mount and whilst I have not really used it, both the 12V cigarette lighter lead and a purchased correct mains adaptor will lose contact and cut out.

It is purely a manual problem, as both plugs equally do not sit in the power socket of the mount very well, and 'wobble' enough to cut out. There is about 2.5mm of exposed metal shaft on the plugs when fully engaged.

I have tried to glue the lead in place, but as all this is new equipment is seems not the answer.

Grateful for advice if this is a common problem and the solution.

The mount is now over a year old, and overseas so taking it back is not an option.

Kind regards,

Mike.

Ah, a quick google and I see this is a common issue.

I am tempted to buy a short extension lead and glue it in place, then I can swap from battery to mains.

But any other suggestions gratefully received. Should I use a 2.5mm plug and not the supplied 2.1mm plug?

Kind regards,

Mike.

Okay,

I think I have 'fixed' the problem. I have glued a piece of 3mm thick rubber over the power socket and cut a hole for the power light and the top right hand screw. With a hole over the socket smaller than the plug shaft, the power does not cut out now. Well on the bench.

Not pretty but functional.

Kind regards,

Mike..

I wouldn't think a 2.5mm plug wouldn't  fit in the hole, but if it does is the centre hole the same size as the 2.1mm plug, these plugs come in a long and short version the short plug is a better option as the shoulder sits tight the mount with no casing showing....my own 2.1mm short plug has seen many years of use although it  loops through a cable harness next to the plug so there's no movement when the mounts slews or the power lead is moved...

You could solder up a small convertion unit with the right size connector for the poer on one end and the correct for the mount on the other - few bits from Maplins. I built something similar for my mounts.

One thing is do not try to adjust the EQ6 connectors in case you break one, some people try to widen thenm and they break. Cheaper to tamper with the power supply connectors, they cost less.

My NEQ6 came with a self adhesive cable clip that helps to reduce the strain on the socket, see this post:http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/176329-skywatcher-neq6-pro-power-connector-and-the-resulting-anger/?p=1813464

My mount is now based in my observatory and have noticed that if I haven't operated the mount for a few days/weeks, the connector needs to be un-plugged and re-plugged to get it to work, after which it is fine for the ensuing session.

I plan at some stage to do power plug modification as described here: http://bendun.net/EQ6-power-plug-mod.html

Gents,

Thank you. Not too sure where I got the 2.5 and 2.1 from, but it is the supplied lead with the mount.

The rubber sheet has worked well and I think it will be a success.

But I have noted your comments.

Kind regards,

Mike.

This can of stuff was recommended in a SGL thread, i sprayed the rear of the Obby PC last year, all the connector leads, in fact any lead with a plug on the end and any sockets, the PC worked faultlessly right through the winter and hasn't lost a connection since....it appears to be good stuff......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006ZP7S5E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00