sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Hi All,

Just sharing my latest image... this time it is the M16...

I imaged this at F10 on my 8" SCT hoping that with the higher magnification I would get more detail in the pillars of creation... it's better then the one I've taken about 2 years ago using a f6.3 FR but it didn't come out as well as I hoped it would, the OIII and the SII data seemed to be very dim, so I had to push it more to bring out some nebulosity in that spectrum increasing the noise...

I'm starting to think I'm reaching the limits of my modded 40D since my deep sky image quality seems to have stagnated... at least in narrow-band imaging.

Personally I prefer the look of the natural RGB image, even though the narrow-band data acquisition was much longer.

Image tech specs....

H-alpha: ISO400

7 x 1800s Subs

7 x 900s Subs

SII: ISO800

12 x 1800s subs

4 x 2700s subs

5 x 2160s subs

OIII: ISO640

4 x 1800s subs

6 x 2100s subs

5 x 1500s subs

RGB: ISO400

9 x 630s subs

7 x 350s subs

10 x 150s subs

Data captured across 7 nights in June and July 2015.

Thanks for looking... Criticism welcome... please be gentle...

post-43662-0-96290500-1437667121_thumb.j

post-43662-0-29912200-1437667149_thumb.j

post-43662-0-20069100-1437667175_thumb.j

• Like 12

You may feel you've hit a wall - I'd be delighted to get images like that!

Try a bit of deconvolution on the last image - i just had a try with Astra image and it worked wonders on the 'pillars'.

• Like 1

So interesting to look at images of this object and remember how blown away I was when the Hubble returned it's first take on it.

The second and third shots are really well done - but I don't understand why the stars are purple? Is that an LRGB processing issue?

Excellent effort - I don't think you'll ever "hit the wall" in imaging as all you have to do it is get a clearer night or darker skies and then - bang - you step your results up a notch :-)

David

Thank you all for the feed back and comments...

I like them. I think the second one is best. I'll take a whack at this one day soon. Thanks

It's a good target image, almost a sentimental object because of the HST Pillars of Creation image.

You may feel you've hit a wall - I'd be delighted to get images like that!

Try a bit of deconvolution on the last image - i just had a try with Astra image and it worked wonders on the 'pillars'.

Can you upload what you done with Astra image... I'd like to see what difference Astra image can do.

By hit the wall I think I need a mono camera to increase the sensitivity of OIII and SII... ha is good but I found the other channels to be dim... Mono should increase the resolution captured also... Since a 10mp canon 40D only really captured 2.5mp in red and blue.. Red being the halpha and SII.. And 5 mp in green... Mono would quadruple the ha and SII sensitivity and resolution.

So interesting to look at images of this object and remember how blown away I was when the Hubble returned it's first take on it.

The second and third shots are really well done - but I don't understand why the stars are purple? Is that an LRGB processing issue?

Excellent effort - I don't think you'll ever "hit the wall" in imaging as all you have to do it is get a clearer night or darker skies and then - bang - you step your results up a notch :-)

David

The Pillars, when anyone sees it, they think Hubble...

The purple halos are due to stretching levels in the SII in red and OIII in blue to match the Ha level in green. In turn stretching it made the stars bloat so adding red and blue makes the bloated part look purple... I'll try it again when I get some time but use "minimum" or "range" in PS to stop the bloat... That should get rid of purple halos.

Without stretching, the eagle nebula like most others, is so bright in the ha spectrum that the image would be predominantly green, or what ever channel it is in, so to get something that isn't almost mono green the SII and OIII need to be doubled in intensity.

Clear night and sensitive CCD would help also if I'm imaging at F10, the subs need to be longer to get the data... I'm already pushing the 30-45minute per sub on SII and OIII... Getting to the point where I can hope for 5 or 6 subs a night... 2 nights for each SII and OIII, and one night for halpha is enough... So I'm looking at a minimum of 5 nights of imaging or more to get the data. I know I can increase the gain but I find lower gain get more detail and its the exposure time that captures the real Nebulosity not a artificial gain.

This is using the last and gentlest of the L-R deconvolution methods. I've got the 'free' V.3.0 - which contains processes not in the 'basic' version of 4.0 which is confusing...

It is a tad noisier (perhaps as I'm working on a jpeg) but the piillars and the stars in them are crisper:

Not my pic I wish it was...

• Like 2

This is using the last and gentlest of the L-R deconvolution methods. I've got the 'free' V.3.0 - which contains processes not in the 'basic' version of 4.0 which is confusing...

It is a tad noisier (perhaps as I'm working on a jpeg) but the piillars and the stars in them are crisper:

Very interesting... I'll give astra image a go.. I heard that TopazLabs Denoise does wonder to images and its algorithm only removes noise without effecting the detail.