Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

FenlandPaul

You're always a planet to me....

Aliens that capture the Pioneer probes will know Pluto as a planet its on the plaque carried by the craft.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

Aliens that capture the Pioneer probes will know Pluto as a planet its on the plaque carried by the craft.

Alan

Obviously a ploy on NASA's part to keep Earth safe as the aliens will zip past us, ignoring us as we have only eight planets and not the nine that Voyager portrays. Very cunning!

• Like 1

"...in any case we can hardly regard Pluto as a proper planet."

Patrick Moore, 1998.

Discuss...

:evil:

• Like 1

Never understood this argument one way or the other. Pluto is what it is, regardless of its classification.

For all I care the ground could shake on Mars and it still be called an earthquake. Just not something that bothers me.

Pluto has an atmosphere, which the other dwarfs don't (as far as I know). We have rocky planets and gas giants, but they're all planets. Why can't dwarf just be another adjective? A planet is a planet is a planet.

Pluto has an atmosphere, which the other dwarfs don't (as far as I know). We have rocky planets and gas giants, but they're all planets. Why can't dwarf just be another adjective? A planet is a planet is a planet.

As far as I know thats what it still is. Dwarf Planet. Not dwarf giant or dwarf nobblin icy thing at the other end of the solar system. Technically they're still calling it a planet but with the word dwarf before it. All the other planets have a word before them such as gas or rocky as you mentioned. What they are classified or named as doesnt have any affect on what they physically are.

Patrick Moore, 1998.

Discuss...

As much as I loved SPM, let's remember that he held out for much longer than anyone else that craters on the moon were from volcanic activity and not from impacts.

Just saying.

I am coming around to the idea of Pluto being designated a "Dwarf" planet (although maybe not so politically correct). As has been said already, we have "rocky" planets and "gas" giants. Pluto is and always will be a planet. It just irks me that it is no longer included as a member of our solar system family. These days if you ask any school kid how many planets are in our solar system they will say 8 instead of 9. 

Call Pluto what the heck you want, but lets keep it in the family. The images coming back are stonkingly amazing. 

• Like 1

Sorry to keep mentioning it, but every time i wear my:

Back in my day,

PLUTO

was a planet.

T-shirt

It always gets looks,smiles and comments from people. There is so much love out there for Pluto. 

• Like 1

Patrick Moore, 1998.

Discuss...

Because it is the First Double (Binary) planet  :grin:

I've never really understood why people care whether Pluto is a planet or a dwarf planet? 

Isn't Earth/Moon the first one discovered?

The Earth/Moon have a different Barycenter to Pluto/Charon. The recent Sky@Night Pluto programme touched on this double planet possibility.