SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Light pollution from a nearby house

astrotyke

It's time laws were introduced to curtail this behaviour. There are now lights around that are a hazard. Some shine into streets and dazzle traffic, some make it impossible to negotiate your own property safely and some prevent sleep. There are strict rules about excessive noise, why has this ( admittedly often unintended) anti social behaviour not been addressed?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I aggree Dave with you on that, I cant see why it shouldnt be law that all lights have to at least be on a timer and pir sensor, what justification can there be in most normal situations for having stupidly bright lights on all the time.

Wow! that is some serious light trespass!

I agree with others here that you should try to resolve the issue in an amicable way so that you can at least say that you tried this approach. 

If this doesn't work then the council should get involved.

I wonder if he reads this forum lol, i doubt it though as last night the light on the shed has now been pointed down, it was still on though sll night, it was just pointed down so makes me wonder if someone else has had a word with him about it. still cant work out why its on as all its pointing to is the ground infront of his shed where his dogs are, confused.com lol

It makes you wonder what it was like during the black out in WW2. I bet there was some lovely skies (providing you were not being bombed that is)......I live next door to someone who I am sure is trying to lure a plane from manchester airport into their garden, or maybe they are part of the new search for life in the universe and are beaming photons into space. Whatever it is some nights I have to have a blanket over my head just to see down the eyepiece. God knows what other neighbours think when they look out of their windows and see a hooded figure. I am waiting for the police to storm my garden !!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi there guys. Just thought id post an update on this old topic of mine to let you know how i got on with the ligh pollution. 

Ill keep it brief but after finally speaking to my local council (Barnsley) 2 days later I noticed fence panels been erected around his garden, also a shield of some sort has been placed over the light to stop it shinning on the property.

20150715_223516.jpg20150715_223451.jpg

Not only did this light shine s into my garden, it was also going upwards into my sons bedroom and also onto our loft dorma window, so you can imagine the amount of light coming from it.

its only been a few weeks since the resolution, but think is what it looks like now. Im sure you will aggree looking at the 2 dark images that i would call it a sucsess for now anyway! My garden is once again dark :) also, he doesnt leave it on all night either, or im not noticing it when he does. I must say that the council have been most helpful in this matter, so all is good.

Chris 

light.jpg

light1.jpg

your town probably has a residential lighting ordinance that addresses light trespass. Get one of the building inspectors over to your house at night when the lights are on. Your complaint would be anonymous. If he challenges you about vandalism or crime, agree with the inspector or the police officer but remind them you have a right to privacy too, that you don't object to him protecting his property but you do insist that he take measures to prevent his light from entering your yard and home. 

I found neighbors who light their yards like this are very difficult to reason with in a personal manner. So I've had to invoke the town ordinance on one occasion.

Good Luck

Brian K9WIS

No Brian. well not with that house, and it isn't because of the light either. There are reasons that I went the council route which I won't go into on here but it was the best way, totally anonymous aswell. it's really worked out good for me so I'm well chuffed. hopefully it gives hope to other people to show what can be achieved.

Archived