Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

astrotyke

Light pollution from a nearby house

Hi there people :) 

Has anyone here had a problem with excessive light pollution from a house nearby and had to take action to get them to sort it out? Im currently been affected by a house near me that insists on running 2 very bright floodlights in there back garden/yard all night. im not sure on the brightness of the lamps, but they appear to be easily double the brightness of my 300w security light, so there excessive imho.

If so, how did you get on? Did you have to contact the council about the issue if it was bad?

Cheers

Chris

i had the same problem with the nextdoor, i had a word with them gave them a bottle of wine, now thay only turn it on when thay need to go to there shed and turn it off when thay go back in,thay didnt realize it was a problem untill i talked to them. clear skys charl.

• Like 3

i had the same problem with the nextdoor, i had a word with them gave them a bottle of wine, now thay only turn it on when thay need to go to there shed and turn it off when thay go back in,thay didnt realize it was a problem untill i talked to them. clear skys charl.

This is something that I have considered doing. The house is actually 3 doors down from me, the only thing is Ive heared he has a bit of a reputation for not been very nice, the police were round there the other week (theres always one on every street lol ) but I guess its worth a try. Last night all the lights were switched off for the first time in nearly 2 weeks and my garden was nice and dark again. 

you could allways tell him how much money hes wasting,2 lights at maybe 600w each will total fair bit of cash each month. you can only try the worst that can happen is he can say no.

indeed, there must be a cost to them and when you see the size of the garden, maybe only 30 feet from the house, 2 lights are just overkill. Heres an example of what the light is like

post-13088-0-87122700-1437572365_thumb.j

post-13088-0-51667300-1437572368_thumb.j

post-13088-0-88741500-1437572370_thumb.j

post-13088-0-88490800-1437572372_thumb.j

I think you could get onto the council about light trespass, but not sure about what you can or cannot do. It is always worth a query with them anyway.

Derek

Honesty is always the best policy. Politely call to the neighbour and tell them your concerns. A small token gift is always a good idea. As above they may not be aware how much cost is involved with ill-positioned lights. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Im always honest, i just want there lights off lol. the lights are more like the type you would light a building up with, say a town hall, not a garden

wow thats a bit excessive, maybe offer to assist them in moving the lights so they do not project into everyone elses yards? and show him the photos of how much impact they really make

that do look bad mate, thay have got it litup like a airodrome, it must be impossable to skywatch,yer id have a word and if that dont work have a word with the council, there shining straight in to your house, i bet you could read a book with  the lights out in your house.  charl.

A light like that would keep me awake at night!

So from that premise, approach them politely and ask them to redirect the lighting head;  also the PIR sensor. In my experience, the majority of people are very accommodating. A small token of appreciation afterwards really helps, including a card saying "I am grateful that you were kind enough to redirect the light; it has made a huge difference to the quality of my sleep. Thank you."

Remember to be mindful of them, too - compromise goes both ways!

If they are not decent enough to care about whether you have had enough shuteye for another exhausting day at work, contact the Council's environmental department.

Most people are decent individuals and don't even realise what they are doing.

• Like 1

Yep, i could read a book by them. You can see theres one on his shed that hes built and theres one on the house, so in the first picture of that semi-detached building, that is being lit up by the light on his house, its crazy. I have no idea why anyone would want or need those lights on there house, I just cant understand it, theres me with my dipped 300w,light on a 20second timer. I feel inadequate  lol 

But yes, they are over the top,there not sheilded and also not even on a timer. Hemust know that they cost him money to run.... shouldn't he?? Theres no accounting for stupidity I guess :) 

A light like that would keep me awake at night!

So from that premise, approach them politely and ask them to redirect the lighting head;  also the PIR sensor. In my experience, the majority of people are very accommodating. A small token of appreciation afterwards really helps, including a card saying "I am grateful that you were kind enough to redirect the light; it has made a huge difference to the quality of my sleep. Thank you."

Remember to be mindful of them, too - compromise goes both ways!

If they are not decent enough to care about whether you have had enough shuteye for another exhausting day at work, contact the Council's environmental department.

Most people are decent individuals and don't even realise what they are doing.

Totally agree with you on that, I wish they were on a PIR sensor though which there sadly not.

im glad you guys also think its bad, as these were put up early/mid spring they havnt affected my astronomy too much yet, but they will start to do soon. As for sleep[ing, luckily my sons room as blackout curtains fitted, but if he didnt then it would be much worse.

Ill let you know what I do.

After talking to him, if it doesn't work, buy the brightest light on the market and shine it directly into his window - see how he likes it :grin:

Then when he knocks on your door a few nights later with bags under his eyes the size of suitcases, maybe he'll be more willing to compromise!

*Please don't try this. I don't want to be responsible for the next world war*

Hmmm, Id cool it down a notch chaps, feel the mods approach.

Seriously go and have chat first, if that does not work, get the council involved. I had a meeting with my local councilor about a street lamp. They were very helpful.

Try the nice approach first and hope he responds favourably. If he doesn't then I'm sure he must be committing an offence under the "Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act". Refer to this document and lodge a query/complaint with your local council quoting the nice measures you have taken and log every night there is a nuisance with lighting - they'll want to see that.

http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/cleanact.html

Hth :)

• Like 1

I have done this evening :) just pinged them a nice email explaining it all and see what they say on the matter.

good luck hope you get it sorted soon

Yep, please keep the vandalism references out of the thread, there are some people stupid enough to take those comments seriously, and SGL doesn't  want to encourage it.

Seriously go and have chat first, if that does not work, get the council involved. I had a meeting with my local councilor about a street lamp. They were very helpful.

Yep, please keep the vandalism references out of the thread.

Unbelievably enough, there are some people stupid enough to take those comments seriously and SGL doesn't want to encourage it.

Street lighting and nuisance lighting are contentious issues on an astronomy forum and suggestions on how to 'fix' the situation sometimes defy common sense.

The moderation team would like to remind all posters that CRIMINAL DAMAGE IS ILLEGAL - do not post suggestions of criminal damage on SGL.

This includes air rifles, black paint, pointing lasers at the sensor, tampering with the electrics (you could die) and 'anything' else that prevent it from working.

Suggestions of illegal activity, even in jest,  concerning tampering with any nuisance lights will result in 'WITHOUT WARNING' sanctions from the moderation team.

If this is unclear or you feel you cannot comply with this request please do not post on this subject.

Many thanks

The SGL Moderation team.

good luck hope you get it sorted soon

Cheers, im sure it will get sorted in a good way