Pondering Power Problems

Hi

So living south of Manchester has problems 1 being LP!

In terms of power for field trips, allow me to list my equipment and take your suggestions on how to solve.

Celestron Advanced VX mount (cigarette)

Atik 414ex (cigarette)

Atik EFW2 (cigarette)

Macbook Pro (standard plug)

All the power tanks seem to have 2 cigarette plugs. And if I get an inverter for my Macbook then that means I need 4 plugs.

That's either 2 power tanks or 1 tank with 2 splitters but I don't know if that would overload it.

What do other people use?

Thanks

Joe

I am going through this myself at the moment. Similar setup to you but I will also be adding a stepper motor focuser and a dew heater band so I will need perhaps 5 x 12VDC sockets and a 230VAC for my laptop (I can't use a DC supply for the laptop as there is no approved DC supply for this make of PC that will keep the warranty and it is brand new, so I have to use an inverter).

I am in the early stages of building my own distribution box with 6 x 12V sockets, a 8V socket for a DSLR, a 12V socket with dew heater controller, a USB3 powered hub all powered from a 100Ah deep-cycle battery. I can also then take a feed from the battery for a 800W inverter that I already have from another project for the laptop.

I haven't done it yet because I am very nervous at building this kind of stuff myself. I am not particularly good with DIY projects and although I am getting a lot of help from the good folk on this forum (many thanks :) ) I am still worried I will start it and not finish (typical me I am afraid) so I am watching this thread and forum with great interest while I build up the courage to do it!!!

There are purpose-built solutions, one by Kendrick, one by Hitechastro, but they are expensive (£300-400). You then still have to add your battery to that and a 100Ah is about £150. I am not even sure that the Hitechastro one works from a 12V battery... it says it needs a 13.8 supply.

If you don't do DIY yourself then it isn't easy to sort out what you need.

I don't know if that would overload it

you should be able to work that out, if you can track down how many amps each device draws.  - the next step is to work out how long your power will last for. - oh and you forgot to mention dew heaters. 

Yes I did forget- because i haven't bought one yet haha - thats on another list of things to buy, in which case, its another cigarette plug. 

I might just buy a caravan and plug everything into that... that way i can keep warm. :grin:

Archived